Home Servers

Muhnamana

New Member
Ok so I'm looking to buy a home server, mainly for backing up music, videos, photos, etc.

I'm looking for a barebone server, nothing fancy. I'm also looking to buy it fully built with OS on it as well. I prefer not build it on my own but can if there isn't places to buy them already built. I would need some direction as far what to buy, etc if I built it from scratch.

Any suggestions?
 
What else do you plan on using the server for? For simply backing up you can just get a NAS, they are cheaper and consume much less power.
 
[-0MEGA-];1389343 said:
What else do you plan on using the server for? For simply backing up you can just get a NAS, they are cheaper and consume much less power.

Right now I'm thinking mainly for storage. I guess I could install programs on the server and run them from their. As of now, just storage.

What is an NAS?
 
NAS = Network Attached Storage

This is basically an external hard drive with a small bit of hardware that allows it to be shared/accessed over a network.

If you do plan on running programs on a server in the future, you could easily recycle an older computer and have it function as the server. For a simple, personal file server you do not need much horsepower.
 
As Zatharus said, a NAS is basically a networked hard drive which lets you share information on the network and/or internet.
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've also been toying with building a new PC, as mine is getting rather old. So I'll have to give some more thought into this.

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top