How Better is Blue Ray then the DVD?

Geoff

VIP Member
You should take a ride down to the local Best Buy, the ones around here have Blu-Ray movies playing on 1080P TV's and they look sweet! Regular DVD's have a really low resolution, so yes, blu-ray is a huge improvement.

PC eye

banned
Don't forget everything is going large flat screen requiring the higher resolutions. HD tv will come into effect in 2009. Still many do prefer to stay with the dvd format despite the lower resolutions offered there.

brian

VIP Member
yes. if you get a player get a ps3. it is cheeper for the buck. but it is so much of a difference and the sound is too

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't forget everything is going large flat screen requiring the higher resolutions. HD tv will come into effect in 2009. Still many do prefer to stay with the dvd format despite the lower resolutions offered there.
What do you mean HDTV will come into effect in 2009? It's been around for years already...

ChrisUlrich

[-0MEGA-];764677 said:
What do you mean HDTV will come into effect in 2009? It's been around for years already...

I think he means in full effect. It's still wading it's way through the mainstream right now.

PC eye

banned
That's correct on the full HD tv put into effect then. The new tvs out are now seeing HD while the broadcast is still analog. The changes there will effect cable and perhaps Direct TV as well. Having cable here simply means pushing the old tv out for recycling to see that replaced with a new HD type model.

brian

VIP Member
o yeah. i can wait to see all the crt out on the streat. that is going to kill the enviriment

PC eye

banned
For pc the old style gamers wanting the 800x600 screen resolution insist on using crt type monitors over lcds. But for tv you are seeing the increase of large projection and flat screen types introduced in these last few years in preparation for the changes coming out in broadcasting there.

The Blue Ray technology seen for movie playback is simply an extension of this there. When you follow OMEGA's advice of going into a retail store and look over any new screens playing movies in the newer format you get a preview of what will be coming.

Yeah, if Blue-Ray discs weren't putting out a better resolution, that would defeat the purpose of its larger disc capacity.

noapples

And by the time we have all collected our favourite movies in Blue Ray format, something even better will pop out. Its crazy how fast its going.

Michael

Yeah, if Blue-Ray discs weren't putting out a better resolution, that would defeat the purpose of its larger disc capacity.

o yeah. i can wait to see all the crt out on the streat. that is going to kill the enviriment

A few points to make

1.) The discs don't provide a higher resolution, the discs provide more storage, which enables the content to have a higher resolution. A DVD9 can old just over 8GB, a BR disc can hold 50GB, if you wanted to you could split a high def. video onto a few DVD9s and pop it in a DVD player that has HDMI or 720p+ over component and you'd get the same high def.resolution.

2.) There will be adapters to allow older, non-high def. sets to work properly, this was announced long ago. Therefor, I doubt that you'll one day see hunreds of old CRT TVs on the streets ;)

3.) I had a BR player for awhile and I have to say that the resolution wasn't the greatest thing out there.. sure it output 1080p to my set, but I could barely see the difference between that and an upconverted DVD, and I'm picky.

That's not to say that there isn't a huge difference in resolution, that's just me sayng that DVD is 100% acceptable and there's no real need for me to make the move to one of the higher def. formats.

4.) Most people won't make the switch to HDDVD/BR until the price comes down, or until they're forced to.

All that aside, BR is a great format if you've got the $900 for a good player and a few videos ;)

CG man

Sky TV has had a few HDTV channels a while now. Compared to DVD, HD format has 4 times the detail and that also allows more colour also the sound is far better as theirs more data storage for the sound it's got a new sound format Dolby TrueHD. BluRay stores 20GB more than HD-DVD if your worried about whos going to win the format war buy a multi format HD DVD player but already the stats show around 70% in the USA are buying and renting BluRay.
The 1080p HD screens have more detail than than most computer screens 1080p is 1920 x 1080 resolution. The new Sony HDTVs have a mega high contrast ratio so you get far more colour brightness and darkness range to take advantage of whats on the BluRay.

Most people dont even use the most of DVD at the mo they only have pirated DVD which is not DVD format its less resolution and less colour than VHS. So if your into pirated DVDs theirs no point in upgrading to a format thats superior to what your going to play on it.

HD Film trailers for PC - http://www.apple.com/trailers/ Check out the detail and colour!!!

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The 1080p HD screens have more detail than than most computer screens 1080p is 1920 x 1080 resolution. The new Sony HDTVs have a mega high contrast ratio so you get far more colour brightness and darkness range to take advantage of whats on the BluRay.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I wanted to comment. Even though 1080P TV's have a higher resolution, they generally are much larger, such as 42", 61", etc. LCD monitors have a resolution of 1920x1200 on a 24" display.

So it's not necessarily the resolution, but the DPI of the display.

codeman0013

Just a little clarity on the issue... I work for comcast and here is what we are doing. By law all of our cable must be broadcast in HD format in 2009 january 1 2009 to be exact. As of january 1 2008 all of our HDTV subscribers will recieve all channels in HDTV. There is even talk to take the charge off their bill. But in 2008 all cable will be hd so we will take it off then as we cannot legally charge for it anymore. Also we are providing as required by law free converters for those who cannot afford a new tv or do not want a digital cable box(does it for you already) free of charge. This will be a major new change and i'm ready for it. There is a slight problem that has yet to be addressed though as the older shows will look really really really bad when broadcasted in hd if you have a hd now just go to a non hd channel imagine that but worse...

A few points to make

1.) The discs don't provide a higher resolution, the discs provide more storage, which enables the content to have a higher resolution. A DVD9 can old just over 8GB, a BR disc can hold 50GB, if you wanted to you could split a high def. video onto a few DVD9s and pop it in a DVD player that has HDMI or 720p+ over component and you'd get the same high def.resolution.

2.) There will be adapters to allow older, non-high def. sets to work properly, this was announced long ago. Therefor, I doubt that you'll one day see hunreds of old CRT TVs on the streets ;)

3.) I had a BR player for awhile and I have to say that the resolution wasn't the greatest thing out there.. sure it output 1080p to my set, but I could barely see the difference between that and an upconverted DVD, and I'm picky.

That's not to say that there isn't a huge difference in resolution, that's just me sayng that DVD is 100% acceptable and there's no real need for me to make the move to one of the higher def. formats.

4.) Most people won't make the switch to HDDVD/BR until the price comes down, or until they're forced to.

All that aside, BR is a great format if you've got the $900 for a good player and a few videos ;)

Okay then what is the max resolution of a DVD... Compare that with Blu-ray.. Now, see my comparison. Why ELSE would the disc size be larger?
most consumer DVD-Video disks use either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL).

The maximum resolution for a Blu-Ray is 1920×1080 24p or 50/60i HDTV

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Just a little clarity on the issue... I work for comcast and here is what we are doing. By law all of our cable must be broadcast in HD format in 2009 january 1 2009 to be exact. As of january 1 2008 all of our HDTV subscribers will recieve all channels in HDTV. There is even talk to take the charge off their bill. But in 2008 all cable will be hd so we will take it off then as we cannot legally charge for it anymore. Also we are providing as required by law free converters for those who cannot afford a new tv or do not want a digital cable box(does it for you already) free of charge. This will be a major new change and i'm ready for it. There is a slight problem that has yet to be addressed though as the older shows will look really really really bad when broadcasted in hd if you have a hd now just go to a non hd channel imagine that but worse...

I could imagine what McHale's Navy, Green Acres, or some real old series would like probably something out of a 50's horror film! :eek: :p It would be like setting the speed on a vcr to tape a show in SLP and comparing that to the same taped in SP(slp= super long play - sp=super play best quality). Try that with a cheap brand vhs tape and you will get the idea fast.

Once everything is standardized as HD you would certainly get your tail kicked for charges applied to HD then. For now it's still a higher cost option for the regular monthly subscribers. With Comcast here still no cable internet here however! :mad: Ggggrrr...! But at least no cables will have to run once it is available. :D