How can I run raid 5 with 8 harddrives?

curtains

ok so I want to build a file server and run raid 5 with 8 hard drives... is this possiable with like a raid controller and a few PCI sata expansion cards or something .. like is there a cheap salution to this (besides software raid).... is there a mobo that supports 8 sata slots? or something?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can't use hardware RAID across different controllers. There may be a controller card that supports that many drives but it would be expensive. Boards with ICH9Rs support raid5 and some have 8 SATA ports but I think 2 are via a Silicon Image controller (also provides a PATA port)

Last edited:

tyttebøvs

A way to do it is buying a sata controller that supports port multipliers and raid. A possible config could be:

sata controller with two ports. Each port is connected to a 5x1 port multiplier. Then you can connect up to 10 drives.

curtains

k I'll just look that up and see if its an expensive salution .. anyways what mobo has the most sata ports on it .. and supports raid 5...like i'm trying 2 not buy pata harddrives as there getting outdated ..