How do i get my memory freed up again without having to reboot the computer?

markfleener

CCleaner is not truly clearing my drive of whatever is filling it. I think it might be due to having hibernated maybe even a page file? How do i get my memory freed up again without having to reboot the computer? Windows 10, Alienware 15 R4.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are talking about freeing up memory and not hard drive space then Ccleaner won't do that. You either have low system ram to begin with or you have way too many programs running at startup or a program is not releasing ram usage like it should. If you are talking about hard drive space, how much space is free? Can you give us a screenshot of what you are talking about?

W.D._Person

Please excuse my intrusion,. johnb35, but I would start by asking the community member if he is familiar with how to use the task manager?

Well, I use "he" because of that "mark" part of the ID.

Still, screenshots of what is showing in task manager off-and-on over a short period of time can provide some useful information for helping with this situation.

And that point of "hard drive space" makes me think back about 40 years or so ago when what hard drive space we have these days with desktops/towers/laptops was only at big companies in big, cold rooms that were very noisy. You know, for us that didn't have the IBM big rooms of computers, we had the Trash80? Sorry, TRS. I guess using the vocabulary "Trash" isn't so polite. Not even sure I can remember how that name got started.

Okay, back to the topic --- task manager is the starting point. In my view. Of course, my Windows 10 unit isn't fired up very often, but I assume the task manager hasn't changed too much up to Windows 10 and 11. I don't remember exactly how that task manager is worked on a Windows 10 unit. I'm sure I've used it, but don't remember. Problem with an aged brain and all the chemicals them docs gave me to keep me alive.