How do i install a new RAM?

Sebouh

OK. I have a D865GBF intel mobo and i want to install the new RAM on it. I already have a DDR266 256mb and i wanna add a DDR333 512mb. I tried to read the manual of my mobo but didnt understand a thing. It talks about DIMM and Dual channels and it doesnt say anything about installing 256 with a 512, it says two same type on channels A and B on DIMM 0 or 1 make a dual(what's a dual) and the others are single(what others).
So i need help plz help me
Thanks.

double-dragon

open up your case. locate you existing RAM slot. insert your new slot next to your existing one.
dont worry, there is only 1 way it will go in.

Sebouh

What if i put the 256mb in the 1st channel and the 512mb in the second? And if i put the 512mb with 333mhz it will downclock right?

Sebouh

What if i put the 256mb in the 1st channel and the 512mb in the second? will it work as a dual or single?

robina_80

depends if yr mobo supports dual and the memory modules support dual aswell
but i think for dual i may be mistaken they must be the same size and speeds

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
also make sure you put the biggest ram size in the first slot and so on!!!
And how does this matter??

dual ram instead of 1 gig module it consists of 2*512 ram modules, its faster than just 1 gig module
Only if the data is spanned across the two memory sticks.

What if I put the 256mb in the 1st channel and the 512mb in the second? And if I put the 512mb with 333mhz it will downclock right?
Theoretically and for the most part, yes. Some motherboards tend to upclock the slower ram if its a small jump

What if I put the 256mb in the 1st channel and the 512mb in the second? will it work as a dual or single?
It will be single. Dual channel requires same memory size

depends if yr mobo supports dual and the memory modules support dual aswell
but I think for dual I may be mistaken they must be the same size and speeds
Must be same size and operate at same speed for dual channel to even be considered. :)