How do I update my PC?

sooty

My PC has an Asus A7V600-X KT600 board, Athlon XP2500 333 mhz processor,Asus ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics and 512MB DDR3 PC2700 memory amongst other bits. Trouble is 5 years after putting this kit together I am completely out of touch and haven't a clue these days as to what to do to update it.

Increasing RAM to 1GB (or more) seems sensible but I don't know what's compatible with the memory I already have.

I've got around £150 to spend so apart from RAM memory what might I usefully replace (board and or processor) on my budget?

(I don't play games on the PC if that affects what I should buy?)

Any advice really appreciated.

AUTOBOOT2000

My PC has an Asus A7V600-X KT600 board, Athlon XP2500 333 mhz processor,Asus ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics and 512MB DDR3 PC2700 memory amongst other bits. Trouble is 5 years after putting this kit together I am completely out of touch and haven't a clue these days as to what to do to update it.

Increasing RAM to 1GB (or more) seems sensible but I don't know what's compatible with the memory I already have.

I've got around £150 to spend so apart from RAM memory what might I usefully replace (board and or processor) on my budget?

(I don't play games on the PC if that affects what I should buy?)

Any advice really appreciated.

if you don't play video games or do anything computer intensive theres not much to do... upgrade your ram to 2 gigs. You could always get a e8500 processor. You wouldn't believe how bad I want to scream at you to get the i7 but it's out of your budget :) and pointless for your use.

jjsevdt

Athlon XP2500 333 mhz processor,Asus ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics and 512MB DDR3 PC2700

I was a bit confused so I have to correct you for a second. The processor speed is 1.8Ghz and a 333 MHz Memory Interface.

The second thing is the memory is DDR2 PC2700. DDR3 just came to market in the last couple years and not even available in 2700.

To answer the OP you would be best by buying a new motherboard/ CPU, but it would probably take you over your budget. Memory would be a good upgrade, but remember to buy in duplicate pairs, DDR2 is best run this way.

scooter

banned
I'm gonna tell you my absolute honest opinion..

Don't spend anymore money on your rig...use it as is and/or save for a new machine.

Even for a few hundred dollars you could upgrade to something much more current, more space, faster, expandable..etc. You will not really get any more juice from it, and its not worth wastin' your hard earned money for an upgrade that likely will yield no noticeable difference.

Save your £150 and put it to a new machine fund..,best of luck..

just my 2 cents....(or whatever that is worth across the pond)

sooty

I was a bit confused so I have to correct you for a second. The processor speed is 1.8Ghz and a 333 MHz Memory Interface.

The second thing is the memory is DDR2 PC2700. DDR3 just came to market in the last couple years and not even available in 2700.

To answer the OP you would be best by buying a new motherboard/ CPU, but it would probably take you over your budget. Memory would be a good upgrade, but remember to buy in duplicate pairs, DDR2 is best run this way.

Hi. Sorry to confuse you! According to the bill for the bits I bought the memory says it is DDR333 (not DDR3 as I said first off) PC 2700 512 MB and the processor says it is an Athlon XP2500 (333mhz) so not sure what actual speed it is but you are probably correct.

All bought in April 2004.

So now having corrected my first (incorrect) statement about the memory what memory is compatible with what I have do you think?

Any suggestions about which motherboard and CPU might be worth buying?

And thanks for your comments.

sooty

I'm gonna tell you my absolute honest opinion..

Don't spend anymore money on your rig...use it as is and/or save for a new machine.

Even for a few hundred dollars you could upgrade to something much more current, more space, faster, expandable..etc. You will not really get any more juice from it, and its not worth wastin' your hard earned money for an upgrade that likely will yield no noticeable difference.

Save your £150 and put it to a new machine fund..,best of luck..

just my 2 cents....(or whatever that is worth across the pond)

Not sure what it's worth over here except that the way things are over here, and over there, probably not a lot either way!!

Thanks for your advice.