how far does warranties go?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
hey guys, i was just wondering, at what point of opening a computer up and playing with the hardware do you void the warrenty? I know that if you open a laptop at all then you void it's warrenty but what's a desktops limit? Just wondering, thanks.

apj101

VIP Member
liuliuboy said:
hey guys, i was just wondering, at what point of opening a computer up and playing with the hardware do you void the warrenty? I know that if you open a laptop at all then you void it's warrenty but what's a desktops limit? Just wondering, thanks.
often the cases will have little seals on them, the second you open the case the warrenty is void

Lanther

yeah if you break that sticker you void the warranty but if your real careful you can take the sticker off and re attach it

alanuofm

VIP Member
apj101 said:
often the cases will have little seals on them, the second you open the case the warrenty is void

the technician from dell basically had me tear apart my laptop when i called.

SonnieP

That's normal for Dell and will not void your warranty if they instructed you to take the cover off.

I have 4 Dell's in my office and 1 at home... none have stickers anywhere on the seal part of the case. There are the normal WindowsXP COA sticker and Service Tag sticker but they are not stuck across any break in the case.

If you go in the case yourself and mess something up then they may not warranty that but if you upgrade your harddrive, video card, memory, etc., they will probably never say a word if someone ever comes out to do warranty work. Obviously if the item you broke is something you installed then there would be no sense in calling on Dell to fix it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There are the normal WindowsXP COA sticker and Service Tag sticker but they are not stuck across any break in the case.
Ah i figured Dell wouldnt be that stupid as to screw up and put a sticker across a crease hehe