How?? How!!!

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Hey guys, we've had an old Packard Bell computer from the stone age (it has what like a 300MHz proc and 32MB of RAM) but it worked, all through the 4 years we've had it. So, yesterday we tried to replace the case to a custom case we had painted and did some other stuff. Ok point is it doesn't power up on the new case. I've checked plenty of times the pwr_sw on the mobo and nothing. Even tried a second power supply and nothing.

One thing is, whenever we push the power up button, the CPU fan starts for a fraction of a second then stops.

Any ideas? And yes I was grounded while re-building the comp so I doubt it was statics that messed it up.

Thanks! :D
 
Last edited:
Sounds like something shorted out, or is shorting out when you attempt to turn it on. Did you use the motherboard feet (usually gold), in between the motherboard and case?
 
Hey guys, we've had an old Packard Bell computer from the stone age (it has what like a 300MHz proc and 32MB of RAM) but it worked, all through the 4 years we've had it. So, yesterday we tried to replace the case to a custom case we had painted and did some other stuff. Ok point is it doesn't power up on the new case. I've checked plenty of times the pwr_sw on the mobo and nothing. Even tried a second power supply and nothing.

One thing is, whenever we push the power up button, the CPU fan starts for a fraction of a second then stops.

Any ideas? And yes I was grounded while re-building the comp so I doubt it was statics that messed it up.

Thanks! :D

Ah, same thing happend to me on my build. :P
I happen to forget to plug in the power connector for the motherboard... ( the 12V or something i think)
In your case it mite be different but sounds like a power cable to me.

Hope this helps. :)
 
^

Lol I did that once, forgot to plug the cable that powers the CPU :rolleyes:

Does it work when it's not in the case, like on a piece of foam or something?

Haven't tried that.

[-0MEGA-];1008914 said:
Sounds like something shorted out, or is shorting out when you attempt to turn it on. Did you use the motherboard feet (usually gold), in between the motherboard and case?

Um, what ha-happened was, hehe. No! :P

Are they needed? cause in the case where you screw the feet, the sockets for the screws are raised so that you don't need feet I guess.
 
you should always use the risers on the bottom of the mobo, otherwise it can

  • affect airflow
  • cause PCI cards to misallign
  • cause shorts between soldered componants

I had a similar issue with the brief power up thing.. it was caused by the 5 volt 4pin connector being connected to where the 12volt one should have been!! which was actually an achievment as the sockets are keyed ;)
 
Motherboards are double-sided PCB's so nailing straight onto the bottom of the case means that all those tracks are now making connections with the case and grounding. The split second of power will be down to either the PSU or system shutting down to avoid electricution.
 
yes but with some cases/mobos, you will get just enough clearance to avoid this and it will still run(although not installed properly!!) ;)
 
AT motherboards use 2 motherboard connectors that look just like each other, and fit in each other's slots. Swap them, and see what happens.
 
^ Thing is, the comp is really old and only has a 20 pin mobo connector so theres no way to plug it in "the wrong way".

OMG I think the problem is as OMEGA and Pablo said that I didn't put the golden motherboard "feet". I thought I didn't need them because the points where you screw the the mobo screws are a bit raised so theres enough clearance for between mobo and bottom of the case. BUT I was wrong, the spots are not raised on this case (dumb me) so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'll put them tomorrow and tell you guys whats up.

Thanks so far :)
 
Hey all the problem was in fact, the golden motherboard feet. Put them in there, plugged everything in, pushed the "big red button" oh nvm that'd be the Autodestruction button. :P

Pushed the power button and turned on no problem.

Thanks everybody! :)
 
Back
Top