How long can a digital camera battery sustain?

newbie2005

I finally got the chance to finish setting up my Canon "PowerShot" SD200 digital camera. It took 90 minutes to finish charging the Battery Pack NB-4L battery. Based on you folks' experience, how long will the battery sustain, before the next charge due? Is there like battery (for this camera brand) out there that perhaps runs a longer period of time?

Filip

you can buy a battery with more mAh, don't know what kind of batteries you camera use, li-polymer, nimh etc.

computerhakk

VIP Member
it'll depend all on what type of pictures you are using your camera to take and what features you use. like tweaker said. flash uses a lot. special effects like b/w, saphire.. etc.. can take some battery.. those special settings like near, far, burst.. etc..

and then your battery itself.. if its high in mAh or not.. and the different types.. rechargeable, nonrechargeable.. etc..

i had a camera that drains the battery quick.. a fully charged 1800 mAh double A(2 of them).. only lasted me like at most an hour.. n new battery like energizer will probably keep me up for like an hour thirty minutes or so.. yups

newbie2005

The battery that comes with my Canon SD200 camera:

NB-4L, 3.7V, 760mAh(Li-ion)

My camera has a 2.0-inch screen. Everytime I shoot a picture, the light flashes, so my guess is that I do use the flash feature. Because the battery took 90 minutes to recharge, I was wondering how long the battery could sustain.

jesbax

one way to extend the life of the battery betwen charging is to run it complety dead and then charge it. this also works on cell phones too.

newbie2005

This is the specification for my battery. Do you think this is a good battery?

Power Source:
Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (NB-4L)
Shooting Capacity: NB-4L: LCD On - Approx. 140; LCD Off - Approx. 400
Playback Time: Approx. 180 min.

ViperGTS19801

It's ridiculously difficult to gague exactly how long a digital camera's battery(ies) will last. The use of such power-draining devices (flach, 2.0" LCD screens, etc) bring in too many variables. However, as the former lead of the Digital Imagine department of a local technology store, I can make a reccomendation.

Go to your local RadioShack, CompUSA or Best Buy and purchase a $30 - $40 pack of rechargable batteries (if the camera is capable of using AA or AAA). It has a charge and 4 batteries. This way, you can charge them fully, and even when one pair runs out, you can have a second pair with you as a backup.

Like I said, however, with a Li-Ion battery, there's not a highly accurate way to measure the life of the battery without manually draining it yourself and recording the time it took for it to die.

$0.02

newbie2005

Ok, so this "flash" feature burns up quite a bit battery. What if I turn off such feature? What impact will it cause? It really is unncessary to use it during daytime, right?

4W4K3

VIP Member
newbie2005 said:
Ok, so this "flash" feature burns up quite a bit battery. What if I turn off such feature? What impact will it cause? It really is unncessary to use it during daytime, right?

outside it's not important (well, specifically outside on a sunny day) but for some cameras they need flash inside (even with the lights on) and ESPECIALLY in dark areas. i know mine really takes better pics with flash on when i'm inside.

RockLobster

Does your camera have some type of auto flash mode? If so, that's what I normally set mine to, so if it thinks it needs the flash, it'll use it, and if not, it won't. If it's too dark and you're not using flash, the picture will be dark.

Also, if your camera takes regular AA batteries, I recommend using rechargable ones. They even make some that claim to be for digital cameras. I know if I use regular AA's, my camera lasts for like 20 minutes at best; it's horrible. I'm sure your LCD screen doesn't help either, so if you're looking to save battery, I'd turn it off too.