How much cheaper is it to build a computer ?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It's usally not cheaper to build a computer, you just can build a better one for the same price.

Don't build one and rely on us to walk you through it. Figure out what you're doing first. Find some older computers people are getting rid of, tear them apart, and rebuild them...

wx6872

It's much cheaper if you can find the exact parts you want,but it has a lot of problems if you know nothing. And still, there's a lot of software problems after building the comp.

Lax

VIP Member
Building a computer isn't as hard as most people say/think it is. Most parts only fit in one way and usually can't be put in wrong unless you really FORCE them in. As for software problems you don't really have much of those either. Most/all parts come with manuals and drivers disks when/if you buy them non-oem. Even the OEM versions usually come with disks and some accessories sometimes. Manuals don't always come with OEM products but can be found online very easily. As for price compared to performance usually it's cheaper to build your own computer of comparable or better performance than buying one from a premade company such as Dell or Alienware.

Tha Killa

As for price compared to performance usually it's cheaper to build your own computer of comparable or better performance than buying one from a premade company such as Dell or Alienware.

Alienware can paint your rig, monitor, keyboard, and mouse in all these pretty colors though. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
The_Other_One said:
It's usally not cheaper to build a computer, you just can build a better one for the same price.

Don't build one and rely on us to walk you through it. Figure out what you're doing first. Find some older computers people are getting rid of, tear them apart, and rebuild them...

Its actually much cheaper to build one, for instance, you can get a computrer that has a nice case, 400watt psu, good motherboard, 3Ghz p4 ht, 512mb ddr400, ATI 9250 128mb, cd burner, floppy drive, keyboard and mouse for about $600. At a store, you get that from anywhere between $800-$1000. But if you dont know how to build your own pc, your much better off buying one, since you have the mfg warrenty.

Pre-made computers are usually less upgradable then a custom one.

timmah01

building a custom computer to meet your specifications can be cheap - but if you know little about computers i wouldnt suggest trying it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Alienware can paint your rig, monitor, keyboard, and mouse in all these pretty colors though
Who says I cant paint it myself? Regardless, the question was about building a computer, not painting it ;)

i would rather pay the extra $ and have a pretty box.
Unfortunately (no offence indended really), that sentiment represents most people. Which as far as im concerned, is better for me.