How much stuff is there

apj101

VIP Member
Was reading an article on search engines, on bbc news, and i can across
According to estimates by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, there is around five million terabytes of information in the world, of which just 170 terabytes is available online.
I love the idea that you can quantify the amount of information in the world. ha ha

geranimo://

Lol, yeah, I also heard the human mind can stash 2GB of info, quite impressive if you look at how big a word file of 2GB would be :p

kobaj

VIP Member
2gb, no, the mind can remember over several terrabyts. Except the mind catorigizes it so weird that you cant recall 3/4 of it. (Tell me I am right.)

flame1117

banned
you can't really put your brain into GB or anything lol, are you going to [ut a specif MB on each memory and the quility of it lol.

and the bbc is the british broadcasting chanell right?

joshj

There's no way you can measure how much your brain can store, I mean all the places that you remember. You can't tell how high of resolution you store pictures at, but I'll bet is higher than any method of storing we have.

BBC stands for British Brodcasting Corporation

smadge

i dont know about 2 gigabytes. think of all the video you have in there. but really i dont think you can even compare the two considerring the human brain doesnt operate on bytes.

ilovefishsticks

i dont know about 2 gigabytes. think of all the video you have in there.
lol its funny but i think ur rite, theres no way its 2 gb if u think of the video :p

You can't tell how high of resolution you store pictures at, but I'll bet is higher than any method of storing we have.
I'm shure that's true also

there is around five million terabytes of information in the world, of which just 170 terabytes is available online.
There has to be mor than that. I mean just say everyone in just the US on average (give or take) has a 100 gb hd, that would mean 10 people per terabite. That would mean 10 x about 300 million is 3 billion, and thats just in the US!!! I think i prove my point