How often do you clean your computer

How often do you clean your PC

• Total voters

mihir

VIP Member
Thanks mep

How often should i change the thermal paste and how should i clean the CPU stock fan

tlarkin

VIP Member
I dont want anything as risky as this thats the reason i didnt go with liquid cooling afraid of its maintence

dude what do you do?

If you have the ability to tweak fan speeds be it software or BIOS settings then you can buy fans and increase their speed (which will raise the noise level) and thus increase the air flow and allow for filters. I haven't looked at the filters that are out there, and this client of mine used filters he had bought at the hardware store, so they were a bit thick.

What can you do?

Apply filters to your case, and then test the machine, like a benchmark, preferably one you can set to run at certain levels, and then monitor your temps. If under 60% stress you are getting good temps with filters, then bump up the stress, until it gets unstable. Then adjust fan speeds until it is at stable temps again.

You need to test, tweak, test, tweak, on and on until you find the right balance. Just remember you reset the BIOS you reset fan speeds

mihir

VIP Member
i have a haf 932 how can i adjust its fan speeds since the fans arent connected to the mobo they are connected directly the PSU.

Can I adjust the fan speed of my haf using a software or bios

Drenlin

If your fans are connected directly to the PSU then they're running full blast the whole time. I'd guess that you'd be ok putting filters on that.

mihir

VIP Member
If your fans are connected directly to the PSU then they're running full blast the whole time. I'd guess that you'd be ok putting filters on that.

Thanks I will try to find filter here in India.
Man here the computer shops suck they still think DDR2 Ram and core 2 duo/quads are the latest and they still think AMD sucks and intel rocks
and online store are Ok-ok with a very small collection of parts

How often should i change the thermal paste and how should i clean the CPU stock fan

^??

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
i have a haf 932 how can i adjust its fan speeds since the fans arent connected to the mobo they are connected directly the PSU.

Can I adjust the fan speed of my haf using a software or bios

You'd have to run them through the motherboard most likely as there is no firmware controlling them if they are directly connected to the PSU. I have the same case, killer case but kind of too big for my tastes.

Drenlin

You should clean the CPU fan and heatsink when they get dusty.

Changing the thermal compound really depends on what compound you used, but it shouldn't be that often. Once a year maybe?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You should clean the CPU fan and heatsink when they get dusty.

Changing the thermal compound really depends on what compound you used, but it shouldn't be that often. Once a year maybe?

The only time you need to remove and reapply thermal compound is when you remove the fan, otherwise there is really no need to replace it. The thermal compound really only helps create a solid bond from the processor to the heat sink itself.

mihir

VIP Member
I use the ordinary coolermaster paste
and how do i connect the fans to the mobo is it advisable wouldnt it be better if they are working at 100% fan speed always
I love my haf it has a monstrous look and is an amazing show off to my comp illiterate frnds
and what about the video card I have an XFX gtx 275 can i remove the plastic case and clean it from inside?(sorry for this outrageously stupid question but i seriously have no idea whether you can remove the plastic casing or not)

and what is Shin-etsu where do we apply it

Feuerfrei.x

I only clean it out when i open it up but when i first got it, it was DISGUSTING!!! EEWWW!!!!! i had to get all the fluff out - took me 2 hours and it still aint that clean :mad:

mihir

VIP Member
I only clean it out when i open it up but when i first got it, it was DISGUSTING!!! EEWWW!!!!! i had to get all the fluff out - took me 2 hours and it still aint that clean :mad:

happens with me everytime

you know the amount of dust i clean out is actually has weight the weight is not negligble

Drenlin

^ :eek: You actually get enough to feel its weight? That's...that's a lot of dust, man.

The only time you need to remove and reapply thermal compound is when you remove the fan, otherwise there is really no need to replace it. The thermal compound really only helps create a solid bond from the processor to the heat sink itself.

Normally that's true, but it does tend to dry out after a while, and I get the impression that he's in the desert somewhere, which would accelerate the process quite a bit.

MyCattMaxx

I clean mine out every time I reformat. Once or twice a year.
Mine don't get that dirty as I keep them well of of the floor.

mojo42

Same here, i clean it every time i open it. So does just having a really powerful exhaust fan (my only case fan)cause a lot of dust to build relatively quickly? And would an intake help a little better with cooling/dust?