How to change permissions, Have no admin permissions

irishluck

So Im lost. Every time I try to rename or create a folder on my PC I have to have " admin permission" to do so.
But I dont understand because my account is the only account on my computer and im an admin on it.

When I go into the security settings in a folder though to change this, There are 2 account that are on here that I dont understand who or what they are.

How do I remove them and just be signed in my actual admin account?
I only have 1 account to log into. The bottom 2 users in the picture ill attach is what I dont understand on why they are on my PC.

Thanks

Attachments

• 34etyrgf.JPG
    34etyrgf.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 8

Okedokey

Reason, previous installations - inherited permissions SSIDs.

Fix: take ownership of your disks, files etc. Key point, after you take ownership of all your files and folders, you'll be able to remove the anomalies security entries. Add the Take Ownership function to your context / right click menu.

1661668464378.png

Before starting, I'd also suggest a quick restore point being make prior

1. Press Win+ S to open Windows search.
  2. Type restore point and then click on Create a Restore Point option from the search results.
  3. Under the Protection Settings section, check if Protection is set to ON for your Windows (C: (System) drive.
  4. If not, select the drive and click on Configure.
  5. Select Turn on System protection.
  6. Next, set a disk space usage using the slider.
  7. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.

HOW TO DO IT,
  • Create a new text file on your desktop and copy the below text into it, save it as reg file, e.g. "Enable Take Ownership.reg" rather than .txt
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; created by Okedokey
; for irishluck
; article: https://www.computerforum.com/threa...have-no-admin-permissions.249029/post-2079294

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

1661669466067.png
  • Repeat the above (with the script below only) and creates another file on your desktop that removes that Context Menu option. i.e Copy the following text into a Notepad/Text file (as above), renaming "Disable Take Ownership.reg".
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; created by Okedokey
; for irishluck
; article: https://www.computerforum.com/threa...have-no-admin-permissions.249029/post-2079294

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

1661669826424.png

At the end of this you will have two (2) files that look like the following. You can keep them anywhere you like and in future either turn on or off the ability to take ownership of files with orphaned owners.

These txt files must have their extensions changed from .txt to .reg for work, but they can be saved wherever you wish and used repeatedly.

Double click on Enable to enable, the other to disable.

1661668278221.png

Last edited:

irishluck

Reason, previous installations - inherited permissions SSIDs.

Fix: take ownership of your disks, files etc. Key point, after you take ownership of all your files and folders, you'll be able to remove the anomalies security entries. Add the Take Ownership function to your context / right click menu.

View attachment 10851

Before starting, I'd also suggest a quick restore point being make prior

1. Press Win+ S to open Windows search.
  2. Type restore point and then click on Create a Restore Point option from the search results.
  3. Under the Protection Settings section, check if Protection is set to ON for your Windows (C: (System) drive.
  4. If not, select the drive and click on Configure.
  5. Select Turn on System protection.
  6. Next, set a disk space usage using the slider.
  7. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.

HOW TO DO IT,
  • Create a new text file on your desktop and copy the below text into it, save it as reg file, e.g. "Enable Take Ownership.reg" rather than .txt

View attachment 10852
  • Repeat the above (with the script below only) and creates another file on your desktop that removes that Context Menu option. i.e Copy the following text into a Notepad/Text file (as above), renaming "Disable Take Ownership.reg".

View attachment 10854

At the end of this you will have two (2) files that look like the following. You can keep them anywhere you like and in future either turn on or off the ability to take ownership of files with orphaned owners.

These txt files must have their extensions changed from .txt to .reg for work, but they can be saved wherever you wish and used repeatedly.

Double click on Enable to enable, the other to disable.

View attachment 10850

So I did do this and it popped up on my desktop as saying I have ownership but it didnt work and didnt change anything.