How to Clone a Hard Drive Discussion

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It sounds like this HDClone program is really nice, although I still couldn't see paying for a program that you could get an alternative to for free.

Speed is an important consideration. I used the free version of HDClone several times, but it took half a day to clone a drive. $25 was well worth the price for an interface I was already used to and the ability to clone the same drive in less than two hours.

spynoodle

Speed is an important consideration. I used the free version of HDClone several times, but it took half a day to clone a drive. $25 was well worth the price for an interface I was already used to and the ability to clone the same drive in less than two hours.
Yeah, but Clonezilla always clones at the maximum transfer rate between your drives. I don't really see a reason to have to pay for HDClone. :(

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Yeah, but Clonezilla always clones at the maximum transfer rate between your drives. I don't really see a reason to have to pay for HDClone. :(

You don't have to.

Fact is, I was unaware of clonezilla at the time I needed the tool. I found HDCLone, and that's what I use.

Maybe next time I will try clonezilla. Maybe not-- I need to get my $25 worth, no?

spynoodle

You don't have to.

Fact is, I was unaware of clonezilla at the time I needed the tool. I found HDCLone, and that's what I use.

Maybe next time I will try clonezilla. Maybe not-- I need to get my $25 worth, no?
True. If you already payed for it, then heck, why not? :)

Thanatos

I'll definitely be using this in the future to move all my files over from my outdated IDE drive to a SATA drive. Thank you!!!

demonikal

Can you clone a hard disk drive to a USB drive?:confused:

The reason I ask is that I'm going to give my laptop away and get a newer one. Since Dell includes Windows 8 on their drives these days, I thought I'd clone the drive to another drive to use in the future if need be (the person I'm giving this to is going to put a different operating system on, so I'll deactivate Win 8 before giving it to them).

I have the USB to SATA drive cord and the power cord, but I just thought that it might be possible with Macrium Reflect to clone a HDD to a USB drive, as long as the USB drive is big enough.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, that won't work. You still can't use windows that was installed on a different machine in a new one. Different hardware and plus the activation key won't work.

demonikal

Okay, I didn't know. I also didn't know it was basically a crime. I thought as long as you didn't try to use one Windows product for multiple machines at the same time, it was no big deal. Although I've never done it, I simply thought it wasn't illegal.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On an OEM machine, you will always have issues like this. If you try to boot a hard drive that was originally in an HP laptop that is now in an Asus laptop, the system will recognize its in a different machine and will blue screen or boot loop because of hardware differences. Also even in the odd chance that it does boot to windows then it checks the activation key and knows that its running on different hardware now and not using an HP motherboard so it won't even reactivate.

I never said it was illegal, though it is to run an OS without a valid activation key. You have never been able to do this and have the system work properly. Windows would need to be reinstalled fresh on new hardware/system.

JaredDM

While the guide isn't bad all in all, for drives with bad sectors you should really consider using ddrescue in linux. It's much better than clonezilla at reading around bad sectors without killing the drive completely.