How to connect WIFI antenna to Router?

johnnyb58

I bought an outdoor WIFI antenna to extend my internet out to my shop, but it does not directly connect to my wireless router. Do I have to buy another router or is there an adapter? The antenna cable is supposed to connect to an antenna connection, but it doesn’t have one.

Attachments

• Router.jpg
    Router.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 7

beers

Staff member
Your router has internal antennas.

You could probably attach it to something with a SMA to RCA adapter (assuming your antenna is RCA) assuming your router had a SMA connector on the back, but it doesn't.

You might be able to finagle something up with UFL to SMA cables/connectors, but it'd be really quite rigged like drilling holes in the router case.

How far away is it and do you have line of sight?
Something like this would be relatively straightforward to set up:

johnnyb58

Your router has internal antennas.

You could probably attach it to something with a SMA to RCA adapter (assuming your antenna is RCA) assuming your router had a SMA connector on the back, but it doesn't.

You might be able to finagle something up with UFL to SMA cables/connectors, but it'd be really quite rigged like drilling holes in the router case.

How far away is it and do you have line of sight?
Something like this would be relatively straightforward to set up:
It is Line of sight and 65ft to the house, but then the signal has to go through 3 walls including the outside wall. I can pick up a signal on my tablet near where the outdoor antenna will be, but I need the signal inside a steel shipping container.

Oh I forgot the coax cable from the antenna is not anything that I've seen before. Its supposed to be plugged into the antenna on the router after unplugging the external one, but my router doesn't have one

Last edited:

johnnyb58

I'm not getting anywhere with this and its too late to return it. I even went on an electronic circuit forum looking for information on how to hard wire the antenna to an older router without detachable antennas without success,

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this because I only want to use it to extend my existing WIFI a 100ft through steel walls for playing streaming music. I've seen a lot of wireless routers for around $20 but they don't say if I can rewove the antenna in order to plug my outdoor antenna in. I also don't want to spend much at all for shipping

So does anyone know a place where I can go to or order on line?