How to fix a Green Screen on Flash Videos

peter912

It says on the internet, that to fix this problem, I should right click on the video and go to "settings" and uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration" box. The problem is, that when I right click on the video, no where do I see "settings" on the screen that pops up . Any advice on this ?

Are you on Linux? Because it is disabled by default on linux and you will need to force it on if that's the case

On windows it should be enabled by default in your browser when you update your graphics drivers, I would try that first if you havnt' already
You can see if it's enabled in your browser's settings but that depends on what browser you are using

In Firefox it is under performance>general and unchecking the use recommended performance settings

On chrome you go to settings>advanced>system and make sure it is enabled

You can also try forcing it on which again depends on the browser

In chrome type "chrome://flags/" (minus quotes) in the search bar and enable override software rendering list, then click relaunch

On firefox you have to type "about:config" (minus quotes) and then type layers.acceleration.force-enabled and enable it there

peter912

Are you on Linux? Because it is disabled by default on linux and you will need to force it on if that's the case

On windows it should be enabled by default in your browser when you update your graphics drivers, I would try that first if you havnt' already
You can see if it's enabled in your browser's settings but that depends on what browser you are using

In Firefox it is under performance>general and unchecking the use recommended performance settings

On chrome you go to settings>advanced>system and make sure it is enabled

You can also try forcing it on which again depends on the browser

In chrome type "chrome://flags/" (minus quotes) in the search bar and enable override software rendering list, then click relaunch

On firefox you have to type "about:config" (minus quotes) and then type layers.acceleration.force-enabled and enable it there
I use Microsoft Edge as my browser . What should I do using this browser, for this problem ?

If you google "Microsoft Edge force hardware acceleration" there's a few ways you can do it but it's largely the same flow as with the other browsers (one to enable it in the browser's settings and one to force it through config changes)

peter912

Will doing this effect the quality of the video playback ?
If you google "Microsoft Edge force hardware acceleration" there's a few ways you can do it but it's largely the same flow as with the other browsers (one to enable it in the browser's settings and one to force it through config changes)

Will doing this effect the quality of the video playback ?
Generally no, but if you notice any issues you can always turn it off again or restore it to what it was
Are you using the latest graphics drivers? An outdated graphics driver is another possible cause and would be one of the first things' I'd check

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask what operating system and browser you are using? Also, flash player has been discontinued for quite some time now. Usually any browser should be able to play html5 since that took over for flash player.

peter912

Can I ask what operating system and browser you are using? Also, flash player has been discontinued for quite some time now. Usually any browser should be able to play html5 since that took over for flash player.
This is Windows 10 and the browser is Microsoft Edge

peter912

These are videos on a site called tiktok.com

Meanwhile I downloaded something called DriverMax to update Drivers. Then I found out on the internet that one should stay clear of them because they download a lot of unwanted stuff into the computer. I have since uninstalled it but I did download one driver that it said needs to be updated. I hope that that one driver update didn't install anything harmful ?

I also did a Malwarebytes scan and it detected nine unwanted programs were installed by DriverMax, which it put in quarantine .

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to download anything to install drivers, you just goto device manager and under display adapters your graphics card is listed
There you can check the driver version and update it if necessary