How To Get Internet Without Cable

GalaxyDreamer90

So some friends I have online have managed to convince me that cable is evil not to mention expensive. I'm about to finally move out on my own sometime next year and will at least need an internet connection. I'm looking for some ways to get an internet connection without cable. My current plan is to use the mobile hotspot on my phone to access the internet. However my cell phone provider is Verizon and I'm not entirely sure if they are a cable company or not. Also the connection I get on my phone is kind of slow. By the way I mostly use the internet right now for streaming some video and music. Sometimes I'll also get on social media but not very often as I don't like social media that much. Is a mobile hotspot a good cable free alternative for internet.

GalaxyDreamer90

Sorry but I'm unsure about doing that as I said my friends have convinced me that cable is evil. If I have to I guess I could live without internet. My only concern would be that I wouldn't be able to update my electronics when needed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by evil? Don't take your friends word so seriously. Unless you have unlimited data through verizon, you will be paying more for going over your allotment. Find out what internet providers are in the area you'll be living in and see who provides the best bang and speed for your money.

AlienMenace

The company I go through has cable/phone/internet. But I only have the Internet, I don't have the phone and cable anymore. I only pay for the internet.

strollin

I have a Verizon "unlimited" data plan. Their definition of "unlimited" means 15GB at full speed per month for my whole family. Once we hit 15GB, the connection is throttled back to the point where it's virtually unusable. I wouldn't want to rely on it for our only internet connection.

I have tried all types of internet connections: dial-up, ISDN, satellite, cellular, wireless and cable. Cable is the fastest and most reliable. It's in the middle as far as cost but for my money, it's the best.

GalaxyDreamer90

I'm on a verizon unlimited plan. The only bad thing about using my phone as a mobile hotspot is it's too slow for video games online. Luckily I don't play video games online that much. Not a big fan of online multiplayer.

aldan

Sorry but I'm unsure about doing that as I said my friends have convinced me that cable is evil. If I have to I guess I could live without internet. My only concern would be that I wouldn't be able to update my electronics when needed.
if your friends convinced you to jump off a cliff would you do it? it is ridiculous to make a blanket statement about a business that way.cable companies are neither good nor evil but,rather,businesses there to make a profit.go back and read beers post again.

Darren

Staff member
You have been severely misled. ISP's suck, but that's not exclusive to cable. That's all big business anymore, just the state of corporate America.

If you need internet, get internet. I don't necessarily like Cox on a personal level but I pay for service and they give it to me. I laugh them off the phone when they try to sell me cable TV though. Or God forbid a landline.

novicegeek

If you just need internet, then you can probably get a just internet without bundling internet, phone, and television, as you already have a phone. But with cable (what we've got) expensive doesn't = evil, though it might seem like it is. As John said, I'd look around and find what fits your budget and speed requirements. Personally, I'd probably also expand on my circle of friends.

Darren

Staff member
If you just need internet, then you can probably get a just internet without bundling internet, phone, and television, as you already have a phone. But with cable (what we've got) expensive doesn't = evil, though it might seem like it is. As John said, I'd look around and find what fits your budget and speed requirements. Personally, I'd probably also expand on my circle of friends.
I think it likely they're confusing the concept of cable with cable TV. I technically "have cable" in that I have a copper coax running into my house, but it's used for internet only. Don't pay for any TV service.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Pretty sure the OP's "online friends" are more evil than the ISP companies when they're trying to convince the idea of using LTE for gaming.