How to get keyboard to work on monitor only

Tyrel Smith

Good day,

I have a laptop with a portable monitor and I bought a keyboard to go with the monitor, is there a way I can get the keyboard to only work on the monitor because when I click the windows key it brings up the start menu on my laptop screen instead of on my portable monitor

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. You should be able to set which screen is primary and which one is secondary though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with how Ubuntu works with hardware. You might want to post that question to a ubuntu forum.

beers

Staff member
I don't think any keyboard will work like that, to the system it's just an extension of the keyboard strokes being input.

Some laptops have a lockable windows key, if you need to be productive on one display you could switch which one is the 'primary' monitor, then your windows key will trigger on that display and leave whatever else on the other screen even if it's full screen like a movie or game.

Tyrel Smith

I don't think any keyboard will work like that, to the system it's just an extension of the keyboard strokes being input.

Some laptops have a lockable windows key, if you need to be productive on one display you could switch which one is the 'primary' monitor, then your windows key will trigger on that display and leave whatever else on the other screen even if it's full screen like a movie or game.
how do I check if mine has it