how to render a cd/dvd unreadable.

Switch

I have put them in the microwave, and 5-10 seconds MAXIMUM is all you need.

A. This may damage your microwave if left in there too long

B. This will throw a hell of a light show as stated before

An except from www.howstuffworks.com"

"A microwave oven uses microwaves to heat food. Microwaves are radio waves. In the case of microwave ovens, the commonly used radio wave frequency is roughly 2,500 megahertz (2.5 gigahertz). Radio waves in this frequency range have an interesting property: they are absorbed by water, fats and sugars. When they are absorbed they are converted directly into atomic motion -- heat. Microwaves in this frequency range have another interesting property: they are not absorbed by most plastics, glass or ceramics. Metal reflects microwaves, which is why metal pans do not work well in a microwave oven."

Two interesting things to learn from that:

Microwave ovens emit in the rough area of 2.5 GHz, this is never consistent, and thus is the reason why reheating your leftover pizza in your attempt for curing a hangover can cause interference with your wireless Internet. :p

Also, the fact that plastic does not absord the microwaves, and the metal reflects them is why you get the light show. The metal reflects the waves as they come in, the end result is the wave energy being made visible by the molecular reaction from the metal. (I think I said that right) :)

Bobo

banned
Paraphrasation:

"It aint good for the CD or the microwave.":D

Doo it if you want to, i wouldn't recommend it:rolleyes:for obvious reasons.......