how to stop dell

M0ddingMan1a

geoff5093 said:
i agree with lcp, dells are excellent computers, the ones at our school are ancient and still run fine! and my 10 year old dell laptop workes fine, although they are not meant for gaming, just office work and for the person who konly uses the internet.

and Krimson, how much did that computer cost? if you say it was as much as an alienware, its most likely a pentium 4, but if its cheap then its probably a celeron D.

i dont think the 8400 comes with celerons. they are all P4s, but that doesnt matter. my whole school is filled with DELLS. like... 500 of them. and they are just crap.. let me tell u. im a techaide at my school and everyday i run around the school trying to fix these dell problems. dells are only for office use and just low basic usage. they arent even taht good for gaming. dells=NO.

MatrixEVO

What about the XPS series desktops? Those are decent gaming machines, even though they are overpriced for what they have.

M0ddingMan1a

well yea.. but..... i still dont like it. its ok, it might be their best one. but still gona bust out problems in teh future. i guarantee it.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
my dad think dell's the best computer around XD until i prooved him wrong when the harddrive went byebye =) Then the fan went byebye...and now the psu is slowly saying byebye. Boy the Dell is looking bad.

Ku-sama

banned
i actully dont think dells are too bad, just in some cases unreliable...
1:) neibors dell i hooked up, booted, worked for 10-15 minuets, then smoke poured out of the PSU, dell replaced, hdd died 3 days later, dell replaced, cpu fried, dell replaced, mobo went, dell replaced with whole new computer, new computer doenst turn on, still waiting for new computer :p

2:) friends moms dell, 4 hdd failures, dell replaced computer, it worked

my dell sucked, cause it was slow :p i upgraded
dells at school dont work cause people dont know how to hook them up right, thats why im running over school for 3 hours

vortmax

here's my take:

Of course we are going to be biased here as we all push our computers to the ragged edge and anything that does not hold up is trash. We know how to format a drive, we know how to resolve hardware conflicts, we know what a kernel and a page file are and what the difference between the FSB and RamBus is why it even matters.

We are our own tech support. We can handle a cutting edge computer because we know how to fix it when it breaks. We also care about minor little hardware issues that you couldn't explain to the average consumer let alone have him understand which one is better. So for us, of course we are going to build our own system or buy alienware or FalconNW (IMHO better then alienware).

The question is like asking a soccar mom if she'd rather have a 70 or a 71 Barracuda. (if anyone knows the difference i'll give them a cookie). Of course she's going to choose the miniVan.

So of course there are not many systems that can live up to our expectations. Expecially desktops that are supposed to be power hogs. I personally will never buy another desktop. I will only build custom. It's the only way I have control over every aspect of the system. So in my eyes, all prebuilt systems suck

In terms of laptops it's different. I can't open up a laptop and change a vid card, or a processor. I can't buy parts and build my own. So choosing the brand is very important. I have a Dell laptop and i am very happy with it. It's not a beast of a system, but it does fine for me. If I want hard core computing, I go to my desktop (which is what it's built for). My laptop is built for mobility....which is the point of a laptop. The only complaint i have against dell is their extra software all over the place, but a simple reformat with an unaltered version of XP solved that.

Every dell i have encountered has worked flawlessly. These are also the high end systems my school uses for research and computer modeling. The only Dells i have seen that are crap are the low end models. How do you think they cut cost? By using the cheaper components normal people don't know exist, like mobos. Of course they end up unstable. Pay more for a premium system and you get quality parts. This trend is visible in all computer companies. It's just as not evident in the high end companies because they don't make the cheap systems for reasons mentioned above.

Ku-sama

banned
im with you vort, i happen to like dells, but i like my stuff to be flexible, and i like it so i can change and alter whatever i want without voiding the warrenty....

4W4K3

VIP Member
Dell's are great for schools because they don't have a service team there to build all 400+ computers in the school individually. It's cheaper to get them ordered and delivered all ready made and ready to go. The same can be said for major companies and the like...it's jsut easier and saves money, and in the long run the small bumps in the road aren't that important.

For the home user, sometimes this applies and sometimes it doesn't. A classic casee where a Dell would be fine would be something like these:

My grandma wants a computer, because she likes to surf the web, check her e-mails, and wants to grocery shop online and order pills and suiff online.
A business man needs a computer at his house to stay connected to work. All it needs to do is e-mail, internet, and simple remote access.

In both of these situations, Dell works fine. They don';t need blazing fast computers, and they don't need user specific qualities. It's pretty much average joe computer uasage. Where in there does a custom computer have an advantage? If anything, custom computers are the worst for that kind of scenario. If something goes wrong, both non-computer oriented people are pretty much screwed. With the Dell, they jsut call up customer servie and get it situated.

redrider773

What annoys me are that the ppl that buy dells, think that the more HDD space, the better the computer is. they see like "200Gb!!! for $2999!!!! I'l take it!!!" Don't know what anything else is, just see the harddrive space, and grab it. for Gods sake it could be a 1200RPM HD, but as long as its got a lot of space, which most ppl dont even use half pf, it makes it good. that and monitor size, which i guess is okay.

vortmax

4W4K3 said:
If something goes wrong, both non-computer oriented people are pretty much screwed. With the Dell, they jsut call up customer servie and get it situated.

Bingo. It's the same logic why i still prefer windows 2000 over windows XP. I understand the system enough to not need the sugar coating. User friendliness pisses me off and slows me down.

and warentees are for weenies. that's why you build your own system. The warentees are on individual parts, so it's really hard to void them. If you can't diagnose and fix the system yourself then you probably don't have any buissness customizing it in the first place

4W4K3

VIP Member
vortmax said:
and warentees are for weenies. that's why you build your own system. The warentees are on individual parts, so it's really hard to void them. If you can't diagnose and fix the system yourself then you probably don't have any buissness customizing it in the first place

whats funny is that most people dont know you still get warranties with custom built computers. you get the manufacturer warranty, and the store warranty. the store one usually sucks, but the manufacturere ones are great. RMA's have always been easy for me. i know my OCZ RAM has a lifetime warranty on it.

skidude

Ok, found the one good thing about Dell yesterday- they are stupid. My mom ordered Microsoft Office with her PC, and they gave her 2 copies of it!! One was the regular edition and one was the small buisness edition. So, I snagged the un-used SBE and installed it on my new PC which didnt have word... thanks for saving me $80 dell!! :D

Geoff

VIP Member
skidude said:
Ok, found the one good thing about Dell yesterday- they are stupid. My mom ordered Microsoft Office with her PC, and they gave her 2 copies of it!! One was the regular edition and one was the small buisness edition. So, I snagged the un-used SBE and installed it on my new PC which didnt have word... thanks for saving me $80 dell!! :D

lol, or you can Open Office for free like i have!!

drunkbum222

I also got 2 copys with my computer but never got around to installing them... Ill brb.

MatrixEVO said:
What about the XPS series desktops? Those are decent gaming machines, even though they are overpriced for what they have.
Overpriced but still cheaper then what alienware offers.

Last edited:

krimson_king

vortmax said:
here's my take:
like asking a soccar mom if she'd rather have a 70 or a 71 Barracuda. (if anyone knows the difference i'll give them a cookie). Of course she's going to choose the miniVan.

that wasnt when they made, like 18 with a hemi in it and called it a hemicuda is it?

M0ddingMan1a

Ku-sama said:
i actully dont think dells are too bad, just in some cases unreliable...
1:) neibors dell i hooked up, booted, worked for 10-15 minuets, then smoke poured out of the PSU, dell replaced, hdd died 3 days later, dell replaced, cpu fried, dell replaced, mobo went, dell replaced with whole new computer, new computer doenst turn on, still waiting for new computer :p

2:) friends moms dell, 4 hdd failures, dell replaced computer, it worked

my dell sucked, cause it was slow :p i upgraded
dells at school dont work cause people dont know how to hook them up right, thats why im running over school for 3 hours

ahhaa thats wat IM SAYING. i need to run around all day to fix these dellssss

tweaker

VIP Member
M0ddingMan1a said:
i dont think the 8400 comes with celerons. they are all P4s, but that doesnt matter. my whole school is filled with DELLS. like... 500 of them. and they are just crap.. let me tell u. im a techaide at my school and everyday i run around the school trying to fix these dell problems. dells are only for office use and just low basic usage. they arent even taht good for gaming. dells=NO.

M0ddingMan1a said:
ahhaa thats wat IM SAYING. i need to run around all day to fix these dellssss

In what way do you fix them exactly? :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well yea.. but..... i still dont like it. its ok, it might be their best one. but still gona bust out problems in teh future. i guarantee it.
What exactly is your guarantee based on?

Of course we are going to be biased here as we all push our computers to the ragged edge and anything that does not hold up is trash. We know how to format a drive, we know how to resolve hardware conflicts, we know what a kernel and a page file are and what the difference between the FSB and RamBus is why it even matters.
I think you give some users way too much credit

In terms of laptops it's different. I can't open up a laptop and change a vid card, or a processor.
Sure you can :)

Dell's are great for schools because they don't have a service team there to build all 400+ computers in the school individually.
Brilliantly put! :D

Bingo. It's the same logic why i still prefer windows 2000 over windows XP. I understand the system enough to not need the sugar coating. User friendliness pisses me off and slows me down.
Your thoughts on 2003 runing as client?

If you can't diagnose and fix the system yourself then you probably don't have any buissness customizing it in the first place
So what happens if u want to learn?

Overpriced but still cheaper then what alienware offers.
Not always.