How to test MB without fully assembling the computer?

ssal

I have to send the MO back to AsRock because it is not able to stick to the 3200 MHz of my DDR4.

It was a pain to disassemble the PC to get the MB out. I labeled all the cables that connected to the MB so it would not be too confusing when I put them back on.

I want to test if the return fixes the problem before I fully assembling my PC. How would you suggesting doing that? What are the most basic stuff I need to connect so I can get to the BIOS?

This is what I am thinking, talking out loud . . .

Lay the plastic cover on top of the computer case (side way with the opening facing up) . . .
Lay the MO on top of the plastic cover.
Assemble the CPU and the cooler.
Assemble the GPU
Assemble the 4x16 DDR4
Assemble the Nvme SSD (boot drive)
Connect the AC power
Connect the keyboard and mouse
Connect the monitor

I should be able to boot at this point, right?
Get to BIOS and load the xmp of the DDR4 and change the frequency to 3200. Save and reboot.
Let the reboot go to the SSD to boot up Windows to launch task manager to check on the memory. Also launch CPU-Z to check on the memory to see if the ram are running at 3200 MHz.

I hope the cables are long enough?

beers

Staff member
Get to BIOS and load the xmp of the DDR4 and change the frequency to 3200
Does your XMP not automatically change that? It should already.

Did you ever validate XMP by loading the profile and then reducing the frequency to 3000 or 2800?

ssal

Does your XMP not automatically change that? It should already.

Did you ever validate XMP by loading the profile and then reducing the frequency to 3000 or 2800?
I worked with AsRock's tech support and they had tried a few things including what you suggested to no avail. The MB is on its way to them now.