9800 pro
250 wat psu

to:
amd 64 3200+
1 gb of corsair xms @ 2-3-3-6
same hd
same video card
580 watt psu

so what do you think about this? do you think that i will see some performance increase?

any imput would be great thanks!

4W4K3

VIP Member
depends on were you wanted performance.

games will look the same, you stil have same video card. but the 1GB (is it PC3200?) should make load times alot faster along with the 64-bit 3200+ processor.

what motherboard did you switch to?

bryanf445

well yea i have seen an improvement...hl2 i can run everything high with 4x aa and 8x af with really high fps...btw i got the MSI "K8T NEO2-F" VIA K8T800 Pro

Kingcrims0n

The new processor and ram upgrade should give your a performance upgrade in the speed of your pc, but you won't get a much greater gaming performance since your not upgrading your card at all.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The new processor and ram upgrade should give your a performance upgrade in the speed of your pc, but you won't get a much greater gaming performance since your not upgrading your card at all.
Except the memory controller just got a 80% latency reduction (and the memory itself got a boost)

hmm a better processor and ram. The 3200+ is the eqivalent to a 3.2ghz prescott. The processor upgrade would help, but not by much if you're playing doom 3,etc, it will still lag and the ram, spent $130 for ram, it amazes me when you don't get a better gfx card. "Not much of a performance increase" i can't tell the diff. between pc100 to pc3200 and neither pc2-4300. I have all on different machines. So basically, the processor upgrade and +ram would not do much, but lower lag by some.

4W4K3

VIP Member
??? the A64 3200+ won't lag in Doom3. i know this because countless people play Doom3 on there older Athlon XP machines just fine along with a 6800GT or Doom3 capable GFX card. It's got enough processing power at stock settings to run the game pretty smooth with the additional help of 1GB PC3200.

If you can't tell the difference between PC100 and PC3200...then i seriously don't think you should be giving out RAM advice. There is a massive difference, more than massive i would argue. The difference even between PC2100 and PC3200 is quite large. You should notice a large boost in bandwidth and much faster loading times in games and what not. Plus the fact he almost doubled the physical amount of available memory...that alone is the main boost in system performance i think.