HP desktop is not starting up

djustis

Hello everyone,
My computer suddenly did not start up. After pressing the starterbutton as usual now the computer is beeping 4 times and nothing is happening further on for some time, about 1 /2 minutes. Then suddenly the fan is going wild. But still no connection or screen. I already did shut off and back again the power for a couple of times but again the beeping and wild turning fan(s).
Is my desktop deceased ?
Thanks for the advice !

beers

Staff member
Is there a specific pattern to the beeps? Usually PCs give error codes through beep sequences, so different short/log patterns and quantities of beeps will give you a different idea of the issue it's throwing.

If it's one long beep continuously then that's generally a RAM failure.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
High, there are 5 short beeps after another,same time pattern between each beep.
The would be a memory or motherboard problem. Try removing the memory and reinserting them. However your first post said it was beeping 4 times. Has it changed now?

djustis

I did remove all cards cause don't know which one is the memory one:rolleyes: But the 5 x beeping shows the same pattern after removing. Btw, after 5x beeping (red flashing light) there is a small pause everytime before the next set of 5x beeps. After reinstalling the cards the beepinglight shows green flashing light.
Motherboard is dead ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This is an example of what memory looks like.

memory.jpg

What light are you talking about? What specific model of HP do you have?

djustis

Ah, right.Tnx. Those long small ones I did remove and reinstalled. Without memorycards and power switched on the desktop is showing 5 x red beeping light , reinstalled it is showing 5 x green beeping light. ( at the frontside of the desktop). Btw., the beeping and lighting stops after some time. And then the fans are going wild. I. have the (windows)HP compac elite 8300. I do think so because of the sticker on the backside.

beers

Staff member
I'd be inclined to say your RAM may be the issue as you have the same behavior with and without it installed, but a shop could tell you more definitively as they have spare parts to swap out with and could observe the behavior.

djustis

Tnx. I did so but nothing did change at the beeping. Btw., desktop is about 8/9 years of age... I think better look for a 'new' one cause a motherboard costs almost the price of a good second hand desktop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure you would even find a motherboard being that old. Would definitely find a newer one.

A cheap fix worth trying is replacing your cmos battery, those can fail out of the blue after a few years
Since your's is pretty old it might be worth trying, batteries like everything else wear out
You can pick one up for <$10
There's a bunch of guides on how to replace them but basically it's the circular round silvery coin looking thing on your motherboard