HP Envy laptop with internet problems.

johnnyb58

My laptop is constantly disconnecting from internet while watching videos on YouTube and Facebook. I don’t have any problems with my desktop, tablets or Roku TVs, just the laptop. I don’t know of any problem checking email or watching news on internet and only seem to be videos. Also, I keep getting notifications from Bitdefender of “Suspicious Connection Blocked”, but don’t know if its related. I think I've asked about this before and never resolved the problem.

Any ideas?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done the normal malwarebytes scan? If you are getting site blocked message might assume you have something on their that might be trying to call home. Try a different browser to see if it's any different. If it is then it's related to that specific browser.

johnnyb58

Have you done the normal malwarebytes scan? If you are getting site blocked message might assume you have something on their that might be trying to call home. Try a different browser to see if it's any different. If it is then it's related to that specific browser.
I believe I did run a malware scan when this 1st started happening and I also switch back and forth between Firefox and Chrome with the same results. Its almost like something on this laptop is shutting off the internet connection when a loaded down with a video. I then have to shutdown the browser, manually disconnect the WIFI and immediately turn on auto connect to get it connected again. I know its not the router because I swapped it with an older router temporarily and it did the same thing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You obviously got a malware issue going on if its blocking a suspicious connection. I would run a scan with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. Also check your installed programs for anything fishy or something maybe you installed in the recently that may have caused this to happen.

beers

Staff member
Does it give you any more information on the suspicious destination such as an IP address?

johnnyb58

Does it give you any more information on the suspicious destination such as an IP address?
I just got this one an hour ago:

Feature:Online Threat Prevention
chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to cookie.lmgssp.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

johnnyb58

You obviously got a malware issue going on if its blocking a suspicious connection. I would run a scan with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. Also check your installed programs for anything fishy or something maybe you installed in the recently that may have caused this to happen.
I'm going to do a system scan right now. It takes a couple of hours.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, lmgssp.com belongs to godaddy and is not a secure website.

lmgssp.jpg

Not sure what this means for you though. Anything ring a bell?

Darren

Staff member
Sounds like BitDefender is being a bit over zealous and shutting down your connection due to expired certificates.

Toggle it off to start as a test.

johnnyb58

Sounds like BitDefender is being a bit over zealous and shutting down your connection due to expired certificates.

Toggle it off to start as a test.
I suspected Bitdefender from the start, but I have it on all my computers and the laptop is the only one with a problem. I know Bitdefender does not like ABC News because it will not allow me to watch any videos only text.

I’m also wondering if it might be a hardware problem in the laptop. I’d just replace the network card if it was my desktop, but I don’t even know how to replace parts in the laptop. It is a nuance, but I still can use it with patience

beers

Staff member
Well, lmgssp.com belongs to godaddy and is not a secure website.
It's registered to 'Luna Media Group' and they just have a cert error for expiration. Might just be some stupid embedded ad dependency where someone forgot to update the certificate, a lot of users wouldn't notice since it would mainly just fail to load page elements that are 'insecure'.

Darren

Staff member
I'll just voice the opinion that AV that's that intrusive usually causes more problems than it prevents.

Ad blockers are more worthwhile than paid AV in my opinion.

I bet your hardware is fine. A USB WiFi dongle is cheap and easy to test with though if you want.

beers

Staff member
I'll just voice the opinion that AV that's that intrusive usually causes more problems than it prevents.
Agree. A non-revoked cert that's expired for a few days doesn't really need AV alarms. I'd argue that one that doesn't match the certificate subject name or can't be verified via chain, then probably, but maybe with more specific information than 'OMG WE BLOCKED A FLOW'

BuckFiddy5

@johnnyb58, et al
Same exact situation: Using Bitdefender on an HP Envy 27. Within the last month or so, I get at least 10 alerts a day. Sometimes that many in an hour. Over an expired certificate. I've lost confidence in Bitdefender after their VPN went AWOL a couple of months ago. After reaching out and being assured it was being addressed, they went ghost. I did finally get reimbursed but I would rather have had trustworthy tools and applications.

johnnyb58

My Bitdefender expires in a month and I'm not going to update, but not sure who I'm going with.

I have a personal boycott of anything AWOL because of their threats after internet went unlimited in the early 2000s. They were so mad about it that they made public threats to do everything they could to bring back the fees.