HP8470 monitor issue

ssal

From time to time the monitor would get the "TV-off-the-air" effect and no keystroke would recover it.

I'd figured if I close the lid (putting the computer to sleep), and reopen it, I can bring back the computer/screen by waking it up.

It seems to be something is loose between the computer and monitor. On the other hand, the "close slid-reopen the slid-waking up the monitor" seems to be a software fix, isn't it?

I am wondering if the LED screen cable is the first place I should look at.

Any suggestion on how to fix this? Any link on how to open and reconnect the monitor on the HP8470p?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is this after a period of inactivity? If so then I would check your power settings to see if it is being put to sleep or turning off the monitor after a certain period of time
Sometimes when my pc turns to sleep mode it wont accept keyboard inputs as well
Unless it has been opened or serviced before it's a bit unusual the screen connection would come loose right off the bat like that
I've had several cheap laptops before that have been dropped, damaged by toddlers, hit by gamers and the only thing that happened was some missing keys and damaged screens

ssal

Is this after a period of inactivity? If so then I would check your power settings to see if it is being put to sleep or turning off the monitor after a certain period of time
Sometimes when my pc turns to sleep mode it wont accept keyboard inputs as well
Unless it has been opened or serviced before it's a bit unusual the screen connection would come loose right off the bat like that
I've had several cheap laptops before that have been dropped, damaged by toddlers, hit by gamers and the only thing that happened was some missing keys and damaged screens
No. It's not the power supply.
The screen would be normal and suddenly went into this snow effect.

No. It's not the power supply.
The screen would be normal and suddenly went into this snow effect.
No no I'm referring to the power settings, not the power supply
In windows there's power settings that dictate when a PC will turn off the screen or go to sleep
If you search "power" in the searchbar something should come up regarding power and sleep settings
In windows 10 it's power & sleep settings>additional power settings and then the power options come up
If you click "change power settings" then It should tell you when the PC turns off the display or goes to sleep

ssal

No no I'm referring to the power settings, not the power supply
In windows there's power settings that dictate when a PC will turn off the screen or go to sleep
If you search "power" in the searchbar something should come up regarding power and sleep settings
In windows 10 it's power & sleep settings>additional power settings and then the power options come up
If you click "change power settings" then It should tell you when the PC turns off the display or goes to sleep
The screen is NOT turned off, or go to sleep. It went snowy TV-Off-The-Air screen.

apologies I didn't recognize the snowy effect
That's the TV-off-the-air effect isnt it?
Then it's either a gpu or a screen issue
I would check that the GPU drivers are updated, I've had snowy/noisy screens before but they've always been infrequent and solved with a graphics driver update
I would wager it's a driver issue since if there was a problem with the screen or a connection to the screen itself then the noise would be consistent

ssal

I went into device manager and tried updating the monitor driver. It said I have already got the latest one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I went into device manager and tried updating the monitor driver. It said I have already got the latest one.
Nowadays you don't need a specific monitor driver, generic monitor driver works. What you really need to worry about is the video driver. Check what is under display adapter in device manager and that is what needs to be updated, unless you physically have a hardware issue with cable or screen.

ssal

Nowadays you don't need a specific monitor driver, generic monitor driver works. What you really need to worry about is the video driver. Check what is under display adapter in device manager and that is what needs to be updated, unless you physically have a hardware issue with cable or screen.
I suspect it's a cable or GPU issue. But the reset (as I described: Close lid - Open lid - Restart) pointed to a software solution.

ssal

Sounds like a cable issue if opening and closing the lids changes things.
Not necessarily due to the physical connection though. I programmed the setting to put the computer to sleep when closing the lid. The "fix" may be from the sleep to wake routine.

I also think that if it's a cable issue, I would have the problem every time. But I didn't.

ssal

This piece of info may help identify where is the problem . . .
The malfunction seems to occur most of the time when I lifted the computer up from the floor and when I put it down. The movement of lifting, or putting it down, causes the occurrence.
?
I think the motion puts pressure on the hinges. Does that mean the cable

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Got a stupid question. Why is the laptop on the floor? Not a good idea there. The hinges could be putting stress on the video cable yes or it's a loose connection possibly.

ssal

Got a stupid question. Why is the laptop on the floor? Not a good idea there. The hinges could be putting stress on the video cable yes or it's a loose connection possibly.
I sit mostly on the reclining couch. I put it on the floor in front of me when I get up. I pick it up and put it on my lap when I sit on the couch.

I think that's a pretty common set up, isn't it?

Back to the machine. Since it works fine for a while, sometimes a long while, that means the cable itself is good, but the connection is the issue, right?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take it somewhere and have it checked out to be sure. We can only tell you what it possibly could be, not what it actually is without actually having the item in front of us.

ssal

Take it somewhere and have it checked out to be sure. We can only tell you what it possibly could be, not what it actually is without actually having the item in front of us.
I think I am going live with it until it happens everyday. Then I will try taking it apart and re-insert the cable, or a new cable.
The laptop serves me well, but I am not going to spend too much on it. One of these days, I am going have to upgrade for a faster CPU and more robust GPU.
Thanks.