http://www.updatesearches.com

k_dog14

Everytime I open my browser instead of going to my homepage it goes to http://www.updatesearches.com. i have tried many of things and am unable to get it to go back to my homepage. any suggestions? Also, i have another problem. Anti-Virus gold has put an advertisement on my background. I can't do anything with it other then click it and have it take me to it's main page. I can't right click and access display properties, nor can i change the background through the control panel. Any suggestions.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That Website is a Spyware Site dont go to it ...
That was profound ;) He's triying to avoid doing just that.

Out of raw curiosity though hehe... i do like the "randomly generated intrusion ports" .... very um ... original :D

Attachments

• hehe.gif
    hehe.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
k_dog,

3 things... first run some scans, second fix the desktop, third fix the mouse. (see instructions below). However you should make a backup of your registry before doing the 2nd & 3rd steps (see here how to do it).

1st:

A. Disable System Restore (right-click on "My Computer", Properties, System Restore, check Turn off System Restore).

B. Enable viewing of all files/folders (open "My Computer", Tools, Folder Options, View, click "View hidden folders and files" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types").

C.Run the online scans below.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hou.../start_corp.asp

D. Now, download Ad-Aware SE, and SpyBot, (both are free, see links below) install them and update them seperately. Then re-boot to safe mode (pressing F8 when booting up) and run a FULL system scan with Ad-Aware, (not the Smart Scan), and check all the items it finds/let it remove them. Run SpyBot and scan, let it remove what it finds. REBOOT your machine and run them again, TAKE NOTE of what items still remain that they couldn't get ride of! Some items will be taken off from a 2nd scan and some items they will NOT be able to remove at all, (Note what those items are).

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...tml?tag=lst-0-2
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

2nd:

A. Click Start > Run > type in regedit

Navigate to and modify the registry entries below:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Select "Desktop" and change the value to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Select "Desktop" and change the value to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Select "Common Desktop" and change the value to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Select "Desktop" and change the value to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Select "Desktop" and change the value to C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Desktop

Also under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
that should be set to:

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Desktop

B. with the viewing of hidden files & folders enabled go to and delete the C:\Windows\Desktop.html (highlight it, Shift+Delete, Yes). and any other instances of desktop.html.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

Look for a DWORD value called "NoChangingWallPaper"

When located right click and delete it!

In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

you should NOT have the following VALUES, RIGHTCLICK AND DELETE THEM...

NoActiveDesktop
ForceActiveDesktopOn

And for the following ActiveDesktop KEY:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

There should only be the (default) string here, right click and delete all of these entries. Remove everything but the (default) string. not the following:
NoComponents
NoAddingComponents
NoDeletingComponents
NoEditingComponents
NoHTMLWallpaper

3rd:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Look for a DWORD value called "NoViewContextMenu"

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Look for a DWORD value called "NoViewContextMenu"

Last edited:

k_dog14

Well i have done everything requested of me. Also when i start the browser i get the exact warning screen that praetor has posted. i am still having the exact problems i had before. i have troubleshot and by ending the process explorer.exe the screen goes away, of course so does everything else. anyone know where to find another explorer.exe file. i tried copying one off of my wife's laptop but that didn't work. I have a file called screen.html in my c:\WINDOWS folder. if i delete it then the screen of the advertisement background goes away to a white screen. however all i can still do is click it and take me to the page. anymore suggestions?? i appreciate the help. thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:11:48 PM, on 6/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave.DAVID\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 3 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hp760A.tmp
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/web_games/popcap/bejeweled2/popcaploader_v6.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Open "my computer", goto Tools, folder options, view tab, make sure you can see hidden and system folders, and don't hide the file extensions.

Now do the reg entries again and this time search you hardrive for screen.html higlight them and hold down the shift button on your keyboard, the the delete button.

Reboot into safemode and run another search for screen.html, if non are found, reboot normal. If there are still some, delete them, and reboot normal and re-check the registry entries.

k_dog14

awsome, we have gotten the background issue solved, there are two users for this computer. i compared the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\internet explorer\desktop\components between the two users. only one user is having these issues. and in that folder there was an extra folder labeled 1. in that folder contained the screen.html along with other stuff that was different from folder 0. so i deleted that folder and now the background is back to normal. however everytime i go to my home page it takes me to http://www.updatesearches.com and gives me that error screen. even if i am on the net and at a page, if i type in my home page or hit the home page shortcut it takes me back to updatesearches.com. suggestions??? i appreciate your help. thanks

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
your past log doesn't say much, but... get rid of the following:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hp760A.tmp

And goto the following file, and delete it, then reboot. (yes I know it looks like an HP file name, but HP doesn't make Browser Helper Objects, at least that I've ever seen).

C:\WINDOWS\System32\hp760A.tmp

k_dog14

i do apologize, the internet problem with the homepage happens on both users. i have search the registries and changed the entries data with the webpage updatesearches to google.com. however it stills does the same thing. thanks for the help

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
follow my instructions in the last post, then download/install/UPDATE Microsoft AntiSpyware. Do an advanced (full scan). Log into the other user and do the same.

k_dog14

awsome, i posted my last reply without seeing what byteman had said. i did that and now it works fine. what can you tell me about the problem i had. this is a friends computer and he said that the antivirus was disabled at one point when he went on the net. that's when this all happened. just some good spyware?? i had already deleted 5 viruses before i posted in here. thanks for all the help.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Some spyware and a bunch of viruses use technics to disable your antivirus and the ability to update them or go to their respective websites as well. You had 2 problems we delt with, 1 (the more difficult) was the desktop hijack, these are really nasty because Hijackthis doesn't even look at the registry keys that they use. And now marketing firms have figured this out so there are more and more varients to the desktop hijack coming out, (which makes it difficult to kill). You notice that i asked you to delete desktop.html, but your's was actually screen.html (...varients). You 2nd problem was just plain old spyware (some generic homepage hijack). :) MSantispyware is great at dealing with these.