Humming and background noises

ldburroughs

I don't play any games on the system in question. I only do some minor video editing and access the internet. About a year ago my system failed because of a bad power supply and when we got it back up and running again I noticed some new sounds on the system. For instance, when you press the power on button and it starts to turn itself on it makes a loud, short static sound and proceeds to boot up properly. If the volume is up even half way and nothing is playing, the speakers hum. If I move anything on the screen (scrolling or even just the mouse) it makes an annoying humming sound. Other than this background noise everything is working well. No other known prolbems to speak of.

I currently have the sound card that came with the computer three years ago and that's it. I'm certain it is basic and generic but plays music and video just fine. I've upgraded just about everything else and will upgrade the mobo and cpu next year. After that I should be current. Other than playing games, is a sound card really necessary? I can play music and edit videos just fine. I don't listen to music directly through my computer anyway. Does anyone think a sound card will help with the humming problem? Thanks for all of your comments.

canuck

The Astroman said:
LOL, a sound card is not used for playing games... You're mistaking with a graphics card!
Check any new game and you will find that the sound folder is nearly half of the game, file size wise. A good sound card will increase your fps because the proc doesn't have to do as much of the work.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
The Astroman said:
LOL, a sound card is not used for playing games... You're mistaking with a graphics card!

LOL a sound card is used for playing games. Next time you play a game try turning off the sound..

The first games I bought included Warcraft (I and II) and Total Annihilation. Both had a ton of sound files on them (there were like 16 sound tracks on Waecraft II tides of darkness)... so I can only imagine what today's games have....

ldburroughs

Problem resolved.

I just decided to replace the sound card anyway. The problem went away instantly and the sound is much improved. I should have done this a long time ago. I'm sure I'm again showing my ignorance but playing through the computer speakers (unamplified) is very disappointing. There is one line in on this new sound card where the mic would also go. I have no need for it so I just routed my all-in-wonder through that plug. If it is set to think it is a mic, it is a lot louder than if it is set as an aux or standard line-in. Am I missing something or should I get a decent set of amplified speakers with a sub?

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Next step: mobo (new memory) and cpu. That's pretty much all that is left to do on this system to bring it up to date. I'll post stuff in that section but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking about the 64 bit processor just so I am prepared for the next generation of computing.