I don't get intel CPU's, help please

lincsman

Hi there. I recently bought a laptop with an I5 6200U 2.3GHZ processor. I looked up benchmarks and stuff and apparently the I5 2400 is a lot better than mine. Wouldn't an I5 with a higher number be better? I really don't get it.

Aren't you comparing mobile CPUs to desktop?

The 6200U is a hyperthreaded dual core, while the i5 2400 has four cores.

Some other factors are the 6200U operates at a 25W TDP for mobile applications and has a lower clock speed (2.8 GHz turbo). The 2400 turbos up to 3.4 GHz and doesn't have the same TDP restrictions, being a desktop part, and has additional cache.

I see. Is that because it is a mobile processor? Why is a higher number a weaker processor? Is there a way to tell by reading the name of an intel to see how good it is?

You have to compare mobile processors to other mobile processors when it comes to the model numbers. It's only recently that mobile processors have made a good leap in performance that's comparable to desktop counterparts. Which is why you see current gen mobile processors only as good as desktop processors from a couple years ago.

The Intel website has a section called ark where u can compare parts. You are comparing a desktop quad core part with unrestricted power consumption to a dual core mobile part which is both low voltage and low power draw.

Back