I just Bought a DVD burner and I have a question

FlashBulb

What video file types (MPEG, avi, mov, etc) can be played on my television DVD player?

I want to do this right because DVD-R's are a little expensive for me... :(

Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

--Dave

Ace1627

Well, depending on the few rare dvd players that can play files...it does not matter the file types of the movie. You would have to burn it into a format the dvd player can read so it should not matter. Hope this helps.

m3incorp

I'm thinking that you will still need to have it on a DVD. DVD-R are less than $1 now a days. I just got 50 that are great quality for $23 shipped.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
DVD-R are less than $1 now a days
Not for good quality stuff (of course if you burn at 1X/2X quality isnt that big a concern)

I just got 50 that are great quality for $23 shipped.
Whats the ATIP on them? :)

What video file types (MPEG, avi, mov, etc) can be played on my television DVD player?
A few MPEG4 capable standalones can play.. well.. MPEG4 encoded files (that includes DivX and XviD as well as other less well known formats which fall under MPEG4). Most players have almost universal compatability with DVDVideo (format) on DVD/DVD-R(W)/DVD+R(W) (media) with DVD+R(W) being generally the one that causes compatability problems. Two more formats, VCD (a specific set of MPEG1) and SVCD (a specific set of MPEG2) can be played although support on older players is patchy (which SVCDs being less supported). If you are knowledegable enough, you can burn DVDVideo (format) on CDR(W)s (media)

I'm thinking that you will still need to have it on a DVD.
Not everyone knows how to encode DVDs (nor has the hardware platform to do so feasibly)