I need to install a bigger SSD drive in my desktop PC

Loneranger2234

Hi friends,
Let me explain my situation. I am not too computer literate so bear with me. I have a desktop PC that is about 3 years old. I am running windows 10 professional. This laptop has two drives. The primary or C drive is a SSD. The PC boots from this drive and has windows 10 Professional installed on it. It is a 250GB drive. Here is the drive I currently have below.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MTBF7S1XCXB2B6W3C93S

The PC also has a secondary 1TB mechanical HDD. The PC is running ok. Here is my problem. The current C drive is almost full to max storage capacity. I need to install a larger 1TB SSD and then migrate all my data from the old SSD to the new larger drive and then boot from this new drive with my PC left in the last current state from the larger capacity drive and showing I have more storage now. I have EaseUS software that I intend to use for the cloning but I am still unsure if I can do this safely myself or do I need to let a PC repair shop do it. The guy told me they could do it for about $250 and I am just trying to save myself a little money by doing it myself, but I don't want to do this and have a problem with the computer not booting from the larger 1TB drive or not showing the increased storage from the new 1TB SSD. Here is the new drive I wish to install below. It is only $147 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch...548938773&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+850+evo+1tb

Can someone tell me how to safely do it myself or should I have someone else do it and spend about $100 more on the labor? It seems like I should be able to easily do this myself but I do not know. Any replies appreciated. Thanks--

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are running out of room on the 250, what are you installing to it? Are they charging 250 just for the labor or for the new drive as well? Thats really expensive. Samsung has software that will do this and you would only need to remove the 1tb mechanical drive and connect the new SSD and use the software to clone then remove 250 and replace with the 1tb. However, i feel you are installing the wrong stuff to the SSD. Do you have all your pictures, music, downloads, etc stored on the mechanical drive? If you are a gamer then most games should be installed to the mechanical drive to save space on the SSD.

AlienMenace

250.00 just to clone a drive is a little steep. It is much cheaper doing it yourself.
If you buy Samsung, it will come with or download Samsung Magician which is the cloning software. Me, I went with Crucial SSDs, and I had to download the Acronis software for it. And it was easy as heck to clone my 128gb SSD OCZ Vertex 4 to my 500gb Crucial MX500. Reason for me to upgrade was that my vertex 4 was over 6 yrs old and it was still healthy at 89%. And a family member wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas, so I said what the hack and told her. She got Crucial MX500 500gb for me. lol. In those 6 yrs for the 128gb, the highest (most GB) was 78gb taken up, normally it had 68gb. And I also had a 1tb mechanical also. Which needless to say that craped out right after Jan 3, 2019. Amazon had the Crucial 1tb SSD for 118.99. So I ordered that.

So, like John says. What do have on a 250gb that is taking up so much room? Also never go pass 70% on an SSD, then the drive will go much slower.

You can always go to youtube and watch a few videos on cloning with Samsung magician or whatever cloning software.

diypartsjoy

$250 is RIDICULOUS. I wouldn't even pay a penny for that. Yes, do it yourself. There is really not any danger in cloning a drive.