I ordered a new case...

dr3ams

For the last several years I've been struggling with keeping the temps down in the case I'm using. I'm currently using a bequiet! Pure Base 600 that was originally released in 2017. I bought the case for a Windows XP build that I never got around to. Later when the headphone jack and a USB port on the front panel of the previous case stopped working, I moved everything into the Pure Base 600. The case is designed to run quietly and it does that very well, but the cooling isn't adequate when internal hardware is under strain. The reason for this is the size and location of the front intakes.

Because I recently upgraded my graphics card and memory, I thought it was time to upgrade the case as well. Five things I was looking for: better cooling (obviously), optical drive bay, option to install more fans (if needed), no window or RGB lighting (I suffer from migraines) and it has to be quiet. After looking at several options, the case I ordered is the bequiet! Dark Base 900 (not the pro version)...for 239 Euros. Demo below.

Last edited:

dr3ams

The case arrived today. I spent a couple of hours re-installing all my hardware and cable managing...

The Dark Base 900 comes with 3 140mm Silent Wings 3 fans. Two installed in the front and one installed in the back of the case. I installed one 120mm Silent Wings 3 fan in the top to the rear (pulls air out). I also installed one 120mm Silent Wings 4 fan on the side panel to help cool the graphics card. If needed you can install up tp 13 fans in the case. It runs real cool and I can barely hear the fans...I'm satisfied with it.

Here it is. Word of advice though...build it where you plan on using it, this thing is heavy.
IMG_20230127_001837.jpg

Last edited:

dr3ams

After migrating my hardware from a bequiet! Pure Base 600 (a smaller case), I have a few observations and tips to share.

Before I beginn, I want to say the Dark Base 900 is a fantastic case. The best case I've owned.

Observations and tips

Observations:
  • About the fan control slider. Above the slider there are no increment lines or numbers to help you remember your sweet spot for the fan speed. Also, the Dark Base 900 (non Pro version) fan controller does not connect to the motherboard, which means you can't monitor or individually control the fan rpms/speed. Solution...install a different fan controller that fits into one of the optical bays in the case. If you install a fan controller with protruding knobs, the front door won't be able to close. I realized this after purchasing and installing a knobbed controller from Lamptron. I sent it back and bought the Thermaltake FT Commander, which has a touch screen instead of dials. It should arrive in a couple of days.
  • The case requires that you install the PSU to a bracket that is then fastened to the case floor a couple of centimeters from the back of the case. Before doing this you have to plug in the case's internal power cable (which connects to the case's external power socket) to your PSU. This internal power cable has an angled plug. If you install the PSU with the fan facing down (like most installs), the internal power cable has to be twisted in order to plug it into the PSU. Because there is limited space between the PSU and the back of the case, the twist causes tension on the PSU socket. What bequiet! should have done is either invert the case cable or use a cable without the angled plug.
Tips:
  • If you plan on installing 120 mm fans into the side panel (in the non 900 Pro version), you are going to need cable extensions for the fans. This will allow the cables to be fastened to the case and prevent the cables from hanging in the air and potentially hitting the fan blades. Plus, you will be able to open the side panel without yanking the cables off the motherboard or out of the fan controller. Since bequiet doesn't make fan cable extensions, I bought some from Noctua.
  • The case is huge. The CPU P4/P8 cables that came with my bequiet! PSU were barely able to reach the plugs on the motherboard. I couldn't place them where I wanted to and I had to pull the cables tight to plug them in. The solution is to buy extensions for those cables. Since bequiet! doesn't make P4/P8 cable extensions for their cases, I bought a pair from Silverstone.
  • If you own a bequiet! PSU with cable management, you will notice that the SATA power cables are pretty flexible. But, after the cable has been attached to a couple of drives, the section between each plug isn't. This could be a problem if you are running your cables in the back of the case. Because of the stiffness of the cable between the plugs, it sticks out, rubbing against the case panel (get your mind out of the gutter!). There isn't any place to fasten these small sections of cable without the plugs dislodging from the drives. Solution...purchase flexible SATA power cable extensions or turn the drives around, so that the plugs face towards the inside of the case (not very pretty cable management though...lucky there's no window).

Last edited: