I shorted out a capacitor.. please help!!!

krazykuul

New Member
Today, I was trying to get my network adapter to work, so I opened my computer, and pulled the usb extension cord from my usb/firewire card inside my computer. Once I got it working, I bumped the computer and it just shut off completely. I was surprised, so I turned it back on, and saw a little flame and smoke combust from my usb/firewire card. I shut off the computer quick, unplugged the psu cord, and drained the power. I realized right away that the end of the usb extension cord touched the two leads of a capacitor on my card, melted the solder, and drained the capacitor. Now my room smells like burnt plastic/solder. There is no burn marks really, and it looks like it didn't do any harm other than drain the capacitor. It's a small capacitor (1/4 inch long), and didn't make a bang when it lit.

Do you guys think it's safe to put the card back in my computer, and see if it works? I do not want my computer to catch on fire in the future, and I'm scared right now.
 
if its not an issue now then you should be good to go. your lucky. keep it going for a while and just watch it.
 
Back
Top