i9 12900k thermal throttling

ANNR

This is the heatsink I have

Vetroo U6PRO Dual Tower CPU Cooler w/ 6pcs Heatpipes,

I was doing bunch encoding tasks when the CPU hit 100% utilization.
It got stuck at 4.3Ghz. I think hyperthreading can get to 5.2GHz.

anybody know of a better cooler under 100 that can do the job as to not allow thermal throttling to occur on my I9 12900k?

thanks

PS: How do I check for temps?

Darren

Staff member
You're wanting to improve thermal throttling but you don't even know what the temps are?

HWInfo or HWMonitor to check temps. There's a ton of other options though too.

Honestly just from looking at that cooler it looks pretty good. You would probably get slightly better performance out of a water cooler but we're talking like maybe a 5-10 percent increase in CPU performance and you'd have to spend over 100 to get any improvement I would think. 240MM Radiator setup maybe.

Regarding boost clock, are you checking individual cores? Some have a boost clock of 3.9, others have 5.2. You might be seeing an average, I would check on a per core basis which HWInfo or HWMonitor can do. See below with info from Intel on the 12900K clock speeds.

1660877284635.png

There is also more to it than just straight temperature of the CPU. If you're pegging every thread in the CPU, you're not likely going to be hitting your boost clock speed on all cores. You have to consider power requirements and cooling on other components like VRMs on the motherboard.

Is your performance actually unacceptable to you or you just trying to squeeze? I know you came from a Ryzen 9 system so I'm guessing the latter. Is a couple extra seconds of rendering really worth the labor of a new cooler and cost? That's your call, but I find frequently it's not really for marginal gains. If you want to just for the fun of it, go nuts. :)

ANNR

Thank you Darren. You are probably right about boost clock and to be honest, the air does not feel that hot from the back fan. Plus I have 6 120mm fans sucking and pulling air out of the case.

I think I stick with the cooler I got now.

Is it just me or is intel systems are a bit snappier?

I mean, back in the days when Intel p4 and amd are on the same ghz level, intel system always feel much snappier to me.

does anybody fell the way I fell? Or are my just being ridiculous?

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I don't think you'll gain anything really tangible by throwing more money at it.

It's nothing to do with brand, just raw performance. The 12900K is faster than the Ryzen you came from.

If you reinstalled Windows that probably has something to do with it as well.

Okedokey

If your CPU is throttling frequency due to temps, you'll leave A LOT on the table.

Measure the temps with CoreTemp, leave it to run in the back ground for a few days. If you're seeing anything over 89oC, you're throttling and losing out on what you have. Reinstalling Windows is also a must if its a new platform.