Illegal

Bigshow1030

I just need to know if making copies of your own personal dvd's on the computer is illegal. I am a collector of sly stallone movies and I would really like to know if I am allowed to do this since I own the movies and also if it is allowed what do I need ot do this...
Thanks,

Bigshow1030

archival?

When you said you can make archival copies that means just by putting them on your computer as long as you do not make copies of them correct?

I have every movie with sylvester stallone in it and I want to make sure that I don't get them hurt

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bigshow1030 said:
When you said you can make archival copies that means just by putting them on your computer as long as you do not make copies of them correct?

I have every movie with sylvester stallone in it and I want to make sure that I don't get them hurt

I believe in the United States they have made a distinction between copying for the sole purpose of archival/backup.. and copying with intent to distribute and make money... but you have to check if the company that the movies are from allow you to do this.

Bigshow1030

software thing?

If I find out it is ok do they make a program to help do such a thing? What would be the best route to go in putting themon the computer!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bigshow1030 said:
If I find out it is ok do they make a program to help do such a thing? What would be the best route to go in putting themon the computer!

If the DVD's have software piracy/copyright encrypting (or whatever they call it...) then any program you find to bypass it will be illegal. I would assume legal riping of music can be done by a variety of freeware that can be researched on google.com.

I do not condone, ripping any DVD's.

Bigshow1030

Understood

It might be something I don't have any desire to get in to if it is illegal.....But I do appreciate your time and thoughts!
Thanks, :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bigshow1030 said:
It might be something I don't have any desire to get in to if it is illegal.....But I do appreciate your time and thoughts!
Thanks, :)

it is without a doubt a grey area..

The laws constantly change, they are different in every country.. people constantly find loopholes in the laws or just ignore them completely and think because these companies and musicians are rich, it is somehow okay.

It would be easier if the laws were black and white, instead there are 16+ million colors...

Bigshow1030

I agree Honestly!

Hey buddy, I do appreciate the help......also since you are the moderator I wanted to know how I change my name up there to computer addict? Not my name, just the amount of computer knowledge I have or something......plus, yes the laws change very much.....unfortunately income tax never changes in Indiana....Hope you didn't get hit by any of the mud slides or anything :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If the DVD's have software piracy/copyright encrypting (or whatever they call it...)
Macrovision is the most common

also since you are the moderator I wanted to know how I change my name up there to computer addict?
New topic = new thread please. :)

[tab]

[...]
Praetor said:
Macrovision is the most common
Macrovision is used so that you can't record your DVD movies on a video tape... most DVDs these days do indeed have Macrovision protection.

The most common copy protection on DVDs for digital copying is called CSS (Content Scrambling System). It was cracked a few years ago and the guy who wrote the program was hauled through the courts... I think the case has been dropped now though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The most common copy protection on DVDs for digital copying is called CSS (Content Scrambling System)
That's a classic case of me having brain fart and noting the smaller of the two protection schemes :p

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ahmmm..

Well...is it not true that according to law, you have the right to make one BACKUP copy of originally obtained software for personal use? I think it is. Now the copy protection is aimed at stopping widespread distrobution of illegal software. As well as this, programs such as Alcohol 120% or CloneDVD/CD are not illegal! It is illegal to use them for illegal stuff. So I think it is legal to copy purchased soft as long as it's for personal use AND is not distributed or sold.

JAN :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Well 'archival' is the exact terminology. And yes, one copy is legal but using that copy while your original software is still functional is a question I have been wondering about.... Even so, everything ultimately depends on the EULA which, as soon as you purchase the software, you agree to.