Im getting tired of this...

Crest

Allright sp i asked earlier when i had virus trouble and i coudlnt fix it. I got myself a new harddrive and put it in... installed windows... the god damn virus is still there! It cannot in some miracolous way be in my new harddrive so it HAS to be in... thats my question: where can the virus be besides in the ´harddrive. I know it can be the windows disc or BIOS. Are there any other places for the virus to hide?

Also... If i end up knowing that the virus is in BIOS, how do i remove it besides buying a new motherboard?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
I can think of 3 things off hand...

1. Did you backup any files from you old drive? and put them onto the new?
2. Do you have other computers that are on your home network?
3. Did you setup your email on your new drive? (And have full Anti-virus protection [with current updates]), before you setup your email?

Crest

1. no
2. no
3. EDIT: I dont use any email programs... but i do use MSN. It isnt possible for the virus to some way get back to me from there, right?

So it has to be in BIOS or the windows disc then?

cell4me

banned
There are viruses out there that can store them selfs on your memory so even if you reformat and reinstall windows you will still have it! I do not know of any virus that can infect bios that a reformat and fresh install would not fix but I could be wrong. What virus is it and maybe I can find out something for you!

Crest

Yes memory! I asked a comp wiz about what to do and he gave me a 10 min explanation about how to get rid of viruses in the memory (ROM?). Unfortunately it wasnt in my language and he talked so fast so i didnt get all he said. Now when i think bout it and know that viruses can be stored n the memory it has to be in the memory. As one told me earlier if the irus is in the BIOS then the comp wouldnt propably start at all. Im going to run the scans and see what i find.

apj101

VIP Member
The ideas for virus' are very long shots. The chances of you getting a memory virus or even a bootale bios virus are tiny, there is much more chance that you something you haveinstalled is infected and you've just installed it again. Did you ever leave both hdds at the same time.

What is the virus that you have, and what are the symptoms. You must have installed a virus scanner on you new hdd. So that means at a minimum your new hdd must have windows, and a virus scanner. Personally i would get fresh copies of both of these and then reformat completely. then install them both. I wager that you will not have the virus. Then slowly bring on your backed up stuff, scanning it all before you install.

Crest

I am 100% sure that its not from anything i install. I have only one new fresh HD plugged in. I made the scans mentioned above and found 42 infected on one and 2 infected on another. Deleted them all. The 42 infected files were mostly spyware and adware. The other 2 were Panther.A which i deleted and some other virus which i cannot remember the name of which i also deleted.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Panther.A seems to be a Word 97 Macro virus that only spreads to other docs, does no damage. You would have had to get this from an office document, it's not a TSR virus, so hiding in memory is out of the question...

If you could find out the name of the other, that would help too...

Crest

Im gonna run the scans tomorrow again... I know the virus is still here since i have this jusched.exe process...

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
jusched is the java update scheduler, it's not a virus (as much as I'd like it to be, damn java :p)

Crest

what?!?!? Are u KIDDING ME?!?!? No comment. All this time ive thought the damn thing is spyware of some kind, thanks for clearing that up for me :D