I'm learning that I know nothing about SSD

Brett_md

Rig in sig.
I'm hoping that someone has a quick explanation about this. I ran a benchmark test from Userbenchmark.com and it says everything is cool, except my two SSD drives. It's basically indicating that they're worthless. Lol.
I ran a test with CrystalDiskMark. I have no idea how to read what it's showing though. It looks like it starts good but gets worse with each test.
Please see attached and let me know if you have any thoughts.
Thanks all.
CrystalDiskMark_20210901171925.pngIMG_20210901_172132_282.jpg

beers

Staff member
That site's not really known for being reliable.

~550 is about the SATA 6 Gbps interface maximum you'll get out of it, the other specs are 'okay'. If you run a bunch of tests in succession on it you might fill up the cache, not sure on the internals of either of those.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you can consistently get those transfer rates for operations like copying or on CDM.

OmniDyne

I ran a benchmark test from Userbenchmark.com

That site is notorious for skewed results; it's inherit in its nature.

It's basically indicating that they're worthless.

In what way is it indicating this?

The random 4K results (both bottom most results) are beyond adequate. In fact, the bottom right 4K random is pretty decent.

What brand and model SSD?

It looks like it starts good but gets worse with each test.

This is normal. SSDs don't operate like hard disks. You're hitting it back to back with stress tests designed to push the SSD to its limits, far beyond typical consumer usage, thus yielding varying results.

Based on the results you posted, the SSD is operating within, and even maxing, the bounds of the AHCI protocol.

Last edited: