Import Nikon lens?

dug987654

Hi.

I am looking to get a new Nikon lens for my DSLR and was wondering peoples thoughts on 'grey import' lenses?

They are all covered by an international warranty, so what makes an imported lens and different from a UK one? And why are they substantially cheaper? E.g. £185 vs £260.

Thanks,

Doug.

EvanK

Generally the only difference is that grey market lenses are imported by a non-official importer. The lenses are exactly the same for the most part, just make sure that it is indeed covered by a warranty. Here in Canada we don't have international warranties for Nikon lenses, if you go to the States, purchase a lens and import it back to Canada, it won't be serviceable by Nikon Canada as they're not affiliated with Nikon USA. Just be sure that the warranty is indeed truly international.

If it's an older lens with less technology (ie: no AF, VR, etc), then there's obviously less to go wrong and warranty isn't as important. For the most part, I'd personally avoid purchasing a grey market lens if it's a newer model, but if it's older I'd definitely consider grey market. For that matter though, you could probably just find a better deal second hand.