Improving Laptop cooling by adding "vents"?

Geoff

VIP Member
I've taken apart dozens of HP's like this, a lot of them don't even have fans. Never have overheating problems (although the mobos die a lot).
Interesting, I know MacBook's had very intricate air paths when I was taking them apart.

Okedokey

You're over thinking it mate. They make the cases for practical quiet use as much as possible. If you think they do fluid dynamics on each and every model you're dreaming.

Darren

Staff member
You're over thinking it mate. They make the cases for practical quiet use as much as possible. If you think they do fluid dynamics on each and every model you're dreaming.
So they just cram it in there and hope for the best? K. Practical quiet use don't do shit if it's overheating. You ever done laptop repair before, like, more than one or two?

Interesting, I know MacBook's had very intricate air paths when I was taking them apart.
Yeah I've seen numerous of these HP's have vents under the keyboard where a fan would go but many lower end stuff like Celerons or even i3's don't have a fan. They obviously have an overall design they use for many and adjust cooling as needed based on the specific processor and set up.

Okedokey

No ,they do it once, twice, 2 million times and assume it is best. If you think they do proper fluid dynamic analysis you're a joke. Cutting holes is the whole DIY thing, i'd do it in an instant. The whole reason aftermarket laptop ventilation bases exist.

Espozo

Well, I finally took off the back casing and ran prime95. I'm actually surprised; it was hotter. It got to 74 degrees Celsius before the fan kicked it, and then stayed at 61 versus 67 and 59 with the case on. I imagine it's because the fan was just sucking in air right next to it instead of pulling it all the way across the board. It's still bizarre to me there's no intake, but the thing is obviously not vacuum sealed.

I've seen numerous of these HP's have vents under the keyboard where a fan would go but many lower end stuff like Celerons or even i3's don't have a fan.
I think I heard the performance of this CPU is equivalent to that of an i5 (although I really don't know what the qualifications for being an i3 vs i5 vs i7 are at this point). I don't know, is it typical for a laptop CPUs to run at a temperature that much lower (23 degrees Celsius) than they can handle (before they shut off)?

Darren

Staff member
Well, I finally took off the back casing and ran prime95. I'm actually surprised; it was hotter. It got to 74 degrees Celsius before the fan kicked it, and then stayed at 61 versus 67 and 59 with the case on. I imagine it's because the fan was just sucking in air right next to it instead of pulling it all the way across the board. It's still bizarre to me there's no intake, but the thing is obviously not vacuum sealed.

I think I heard the performance of this CPU is equivalent to that of an i5 (although I really don't know what the qualifications for being an i3 vs i5 vs i7 are at this point). I don't know, is it typical for a laptop CPUs to run at a temperature that much lower (23 degrees Celsius) than they can handle (before they shut off)?
Ehh, it's kind of hard to compare. Your CPU has better graphics performance (built in) than an i5 but the i5 will be a more efficient and faster processor overall and also probably run slightly cooler. Sounds like your temps are well within normal range though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Espozo

I guess they're built using a smaller manufacturing process? Yeah though, When I was looking at different HP computers (tradition), the other decently powerful one, HP Omen, ran at a frequency 5% higher (2.6GHz), but was a 20% speed increase. (I'm not even sure how if they have the same processor architecture, but whatever.) However, it was $200 more, so I decided it wasn't worth it. I later found out the ram on it is soldered to the motherboard, so I'm really glad I didn't buy it now.

I've always had a sort of stigma against Dell (The only Dell computer I had had the hard drive break only a few years later) but it seems they offer the most powerful laptops for the best price. I saw a 3.5GHz one (I didn't even know they went that high) for $850, which I think is great. The way I see it, the faster the computer, the less you have to change them out (aside from the Dell, none of mine have broke; the processor would just become obsolete, and it's not like you can replace them.)

I've said this before, but I'm still really curious about this:

Motherboard.png

I guess this motherboard is used in a different laptop that had a designated GPU. This idea is even dumber than the hole drilling one, but I wonder if I could have someone with professional tools put a GPU on there (along with VRAM). At that point, it would probably be better to just get a new computer.

Darren

Staff member
I work in a computer repair shop and any GPU that's soldered on isn't going anywhere and not worth messing with. If the GPU is dead and it's soldered on we quote people with a whole new motherboard even if just the GPU is bad since we can't remove/change it. Even then I don't think it'd even be possible to solder that on piece by piece if you did bother trying.

ramirez

LOL, still find it funny that someone would even consider drilling holes in their laptop before purchasing a fairly expensive cooling station.