increasing conventional memory

paul j

hi , i am new here and i like it!I am wantimg to restore my computer with a microsoft issued windows 98 SE operating system but i come up against an error message telling me i have to increase conventional memory. I have gone to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188140#appliesto
for help but my attempts to follow instuctions has not worked
Can any one help because the further i try the less functional my computer is becoming ie I am down to 16 color screen now . Please help Thanks paul

randruff

How much RAM do you have? what is your virtual memory or pagefile currently set at? As Houssam said, it is more than likely your pagefile settings are too low.

paul j

thanks randruff I have a brand new pentium 4
160 gig 512 ram and my page settings are maxed out.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You younguns should let us old guys handle this ;P LOL, conventional memory isn't talked about much anymore! FYI, system ram and the page file has absolutely NOTHING to do with conventional memory...

Comptuers have a base memory of 640k. There's no way to increase this. What uses it are dos drivers. What you need to do is alter your Autoexec.bat and config.sys. Once you remove some of those drivers, you should be good to go.

Man it's been a while since I had to deal with this... I know there was once a program that'd alter it for you, but that might be before 98...

If you could perhaps post the autoexec and config.sis file here, perhaps we could help you by saying what all could be removed... MSCONFIG I beleive lets you alter it, along with sysedit.

paul j

thanks the other one for your quick reply
If you look at my original thread you will see a link to a cure from microsoft
but my attempts to follow the advise are not working. can you help further