Infected computer, online/remote fixes?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Oookay, so my girlfriend is in IL and I'm in NC. Normally this wouldn't be a difficult fix, but I'm trying to do things on my end. Here's the scoop. Essentially her computer is giving random pop-ups and basically disallowing any programs from running saying they are infected. I had her install AVG under safe mode, but apparently it won't use the GUI scan until it's in standard mode. When she rebooted it said AVG was infected :p I've not looked into the command prompt options, but I'm trying to stick with more simplistic GUI options if at all possible.

I'm getting a copy of a hijackthis log soon and asked her to get ComboFix on her computer. I might go ahead and get her to try Spybot as well. Are there any other good programs worth using? She's running Windows XP, so no Windows Defender by default.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Spybot used to be good in its day, but not any more. I hope she doesn't have the virut infection. It infects all .exe files and basically you have to format and reinstall as virut is very hard to remove and keeps replicating itself.

Run Malwarebytes and post a hijackthis log if you can.