install ram

Gr3yG0053

i have a question about how much ram i can put in my computer. I only hove one pci slot left, so what is the largest amount of ram i can put into my computer. Also if i chose to could i buy a new tower, and relocate all my internals to the new tower to create more pci slots?

thanks all

4W4K3

VIP Member
Gr3yG0053 said:
i have a question about how much ram i can put in my computer. I only hove one pci slot left, so what is the largest amount of ram i can put into my computer. Also if i chose to could i buy a new tower, and relocate all my internals to the new tower to create more pci slots?

thanks all

you sound confused. RAM doesn't go in the PCI slot..it goes in the DIMM slots. and getting a new case will not increase your DIMM slots...you have to buy a new motherboard for that. the amount of RAM you can put in your computer depends on your motherboard. what kind of motherboard do you have? and how much RAM does it currently have in it already?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah... what he said :p PCI slots are the white slots that run left-right when you look at the case standing up and the memory slots typically are top-bottom

Gr3yG0053

???

well i opened it up anyway after i posted the reply, and it looks like i have four slots. When i bought my computer, i knew less than what i know now about computers, but i got 1gig of ram. Now that i have it open there are two slots open and two "sticks" of ram in the other slots. My first question, if i do get some ram what is the largest amounts that i can get...if i get a 1x1024 will it fit in the space provided, or do i have to get 2x512. my second question is that the ram that is installed is in two seprate slots, the clips holding the ram is white and empty slots clips are black, does this matter, or can i even install ram in these slots. Finally my last question is what is the best ram there like ddramm, is there any other, ans/or what is the best?

kof2000

4slots doesnt always mean max is 4gb. some mb allows 4gb of pc2100-2700 but only 2gb of pc3200. a 1x 1024 stick is usually way more expensive than 2x512 unless you are planning to max it out.

Gr3yG0053

well since i think, almost 100%, that i have 2x512, than should i go with another 2x512 or should i get 2x1024, and would it be that noticable between the two?

ThePCmaN

i say u stick with 2 sticks of 512MB (PC3200)... and spend that mney that u were gonna spend on 2GBs, buy a NICE Graphics Card or somethin!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
CPU-Z should be able to tell you.
It should?? Dont you mean PCWizard? :)

if i do get some ram what is the largest amounts that i can get...if i get a 1x1024 will it fit in the space provided, or do i have to get 2x512
Read the manual, it will say there. Depends on teh mobo.

Finally my last question is what is the best ram there like ddramm, is there any other, ans/or what is the best?
DDR is prolly what you'll be using as for quantity... depends on the intent

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but running 3GB of memory causes two things: (1) disable dual channel and (2) downclock the memory

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Yes but running 3GB of memory causes two things: (1) disable dual channel and (2) downclock the memory

Does dual channel improve P4's as much as it does AMDXP's? Some people say it has NO advantage on a P4, but i have heard that it gives slight gains as well. 3GB of RAM is too much if you as kme, unless it's a server/work computer and pure speed isn't top priority. i think 1GB of RAM is doable on any gaming on computer, regardless of the game.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Does dual channel improve P4's as much as it does AMDXP's
Dual channel, for people who make use of it, affects users the same whether they are on Intel or AMD platforms. Naturally you wont notice an earth shattering improvement in say, loadtimes for .... Microsoft Word or something but for stuff like games and memory intensive crap (calculations, file transfers, games etc), you'll notice an advantage.

3GB of RAM is too much if you as kme, unless it's a server/work computer and pure speed isn't top priority
You can never have enough memory really although that ususally doesnt apply to "normal" users :)