Installing IDE drives on newer machines...

mplumridge

Hi there. Through some circumstances that I don't really understand, my last computer stopped working the other day - just won't boot. It was an older Compaq. It had the factory 40 GB IDE drive and a 320 GB IDE drive that I added on to it. I went out and bought a newer machine and now I'd like to salvage my old data.

The first thing I want to do is get personal files off of the main hard drive from the old computer. It's a Seagate 40 GB drive. According to their web site, removing the jumper puts it in slave mode. I tried to hook it up but I wasn't sure how to link it to the main drive, as it's an IDE drive. I tried to boot up and see if VIsta recognized what I was trying to do, but it actually booted up from that drive. Windows XP wanted to confirm its authenticity. How do I get around this and just access it as a second hard drive? I'm about 5 years behind in technology here.

After I get my files off of that drive, I want to install the old second drive in the new system. It's a Western Digital drive. When I tried to do that, I believe the system tried to load the O/S off of it, hence the error loading the O/S.

I know there is a way around these problems. I'm thinking that it involves the BIOs and some sort of adapter but I'm not sure. Any help help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure its setup as slave and then go into the bios and make sure that the original drive in the computer is set as first boot device, not the one you put in. Save settings and let it reboot and it should recognize the drive you put in as slave and you can then copy data from it.