installing windows xp home

sven556

I just built a new computer and tried to install win xp but I couldn't get it to work. Here are the specs of my machine:
amd athlon 64 3000+
chaintech vnf3-250 mobo
kingmax 3200 ddr400 2 x 512mb
opterite dvd burner
Western digital 7200rpm 160gb sata hdd
chaintech 256mb geforce 5700LE

I got windows to recognize the sata drive and format it into 2 partitions a 60gb and 100 gb partition. told it to install xp on the 100 gb partition and it copys the setup files then restarts. after the restart it starts at the beginning of the install process and asks which partition, if I tell it the 100 gb partition again it says there is already and operating system on that drive, if I continue anyways it copys the setup files again restarts and does everything all over again.

I also tried the preinstallation cd (not sure what this is for) and it goes through a couple screens then gets to a DOS command prompt and just hangs there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sven

Eiremax

Start the setup again with the disk when your computer reboots make sure the XP cd IS REMOVED as it says in the installation (its booting from the cd to initial setup each time)! Put cd back in drive when your installation starts

Hope this helps :D

sven556

It never gets to a point where it tells me to remove the CD. I tried it though and it reboots and says "Boot failure insert system disk and hit enter" if I do that it tries to start all over again.
Could this still be caused by the sata hdd not being setup correctly, I have heard of problems getting them setup. All I did was enable raid in the bios, then winxp installation partitioned it so I figured it was setup correctly.
My first time at installing XP is not going so well (should just stick with win98se).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Start the setup again with the disk when your computer reboots make sure the XP cd IS REMOVED as it says in the installation (its booting from the cd to initial setup each time)!
Wont matter -- when you "boot off the CD" .. it says "Press Any Key to Enter Setup" -- so ........ if you dont press a key then nothing happens.

I tried it though and it reboots and says "Boot failure insert system disk and hit enter"
How are your boot priority devices configured? You'll have to make sure the SATA drives are configured to allow booting :)

I have heard of problems getting them setup
Yeah SATA's a pain in the arse like that.

All I did was enable raid in the bios, then winxp installation partitioned it so I figured it was setup correctly.
You'll have to ensure that the system tries to boot off the RAID array