Intel and Amd jsut dont add up...

kopanowsall

wads up with amd atlon +3500 costs liek 350 dollars and it only runs at 2.2 giga hertz mean while a p4 processor which runs at 3.0 gigahertz costs 125 dollars. What up with that amd is supposed to be cheaper...
I must be the biggest noob in computers casuse i know that there must be a good explanation for this but what is it?

Last edited:

kopanowsall

what the heck is up with this one too AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 is only running at 2.6 giga hertz with the outragous price of 600 dollars while u have a p4 chip out there that onyl costs 125 dollars with 3.0 giga hertz... I am so confused....

4W4K3

VIP Member
kopanowsall said:
Is my question so obious and retarded that no ones answering it?

there not rated the same. the AMD @ 2.6ghz 64bit processing will outperform the Intel @ 3.0GHz 32bit processing. it's like comparing kilometers and miles, 50mph and 50kph is totally different while being the smae number. hopee that helps.

smadge

people have had trouble getting past the idea that the higher the clock speed the better performance the cpu will have. like 4w4k3 said many amd's with less megahertz will be comparable with intels with many more. it has to do with how the chip is made or something.

Jkun

You still seem to be a little confused.

An AMD XP "Barton" 3000+ (A 32-bit chip), can perform nearly as well as a 3.0 P4, whereas the AMD only clocks in at around 2.1 GHZ. It's not all about clock speed, it's simply in the chip itself. You've been brainwashed by Intel chip names to think 'OMG GHZ TEH WIN', and that's just not true.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what the heck is up with this one too AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 is only running at 2.6 giga hertz
It isnt. It runs at 2.4GHz

Is my question so obious and retarded that no ones answering it?
I would say yes but the reason is we're not here specifically to cater to your questions. NObody is emplouyed here. We are here as volunteers. Furthermore, neither AMD nor Intel use "hertz" as a measurement anymore.

people have had trouble getting past the idea that the higher the clock speed the better performance the cpu will have. like 4w4k3 said many amd's with less megahertz will be comparable with intels with many more. it has to do with how the chip is made or something.
Not just that, within Intel theres a massive difference between the P4C-3.0 and the P4C-3.0

An AMD XP "Barton" 3000+ (A 32-bit chip), can perform nearly as well as a 3.0 P4
Whoa ... i assume you mean P4B-3.0Ghz ... not a chance on the P4C-3.0