Interesting facts about computerforum.com

smadge

yeah but he didnt say so and i wanted to make it clear not everybody who post under 5 words is a post whore striving for rank

ian said:
Well just for everyones information, in the future, there will be some small prizes, mostly what I can get companies to donate, and I will donate some myself, and I really do mean small stuff. Anyhow there will be five forums in this network all together, and a number will be drawn at random between 1 and 500 which will correspond to a person on one of the forums who is on the leaderboard. In other words, only people on the leaderboard will be eligible to win. I would like to see being on the leaderboard to hold some priviledges.
YAY!!! I think that is a great idea!!!
But as some people have said, some people will just post a whole bunch of bs just to get on the leaderboard. It will be hard to filter out that stuff so I guess the admins (and moderators) will have to keep a good eye on the site.

Edit (just got a good idea) How bout when someone wins you read through like the last 20-100 posts (depending on how much time you have) they made to see if they have been posting good quality stuff.

Styleprojekt

691175002 said:
YAY!!! I think that is a great idea!!!
But as some people have said, some people will just post a whole bunch of bs just to get on the leaderboard. It will be hard to filter out that stuff so I guess the admins (and moderators) will have to keep a good eye on the site.

Edit (just got a good idea) How bout when someone wins you read through like the last 20-100 posts (depending on how much time you have) they made to see if they have been posting good quality stuff.

What about if people have to vote for you by the quality of your posts and how well you get along.....you cant vote for yourself obviously

Styleprojekt said:
What about if people have to vote for you by the quality of your posts and how well you get along.....you cant vote for yourself obviously
Good idea! It should be something like number of
posts*avrage satisfaction rating = score
That way it uses everything!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
post whoring is not so bad, as appears in general chat, but it becomes quite clear when people post just to boost their post count, and in the past those people have usually gotten temporary/permanent bans.

Styleprojekt

ian said:
post whoring is not so bad, as appears in general chat, but it becomes quite clear when people post just to boost their post count, and in the past those people have usually gotten temporary/permanent bans.

yeah but post whoring can also be covered up in just leaving a couple of words wich have something to do with the topic but dont really make too much sence/ have already been said/ or are just there to add to general opinion

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yeah but post whoring can also be covered up in just leaving a couple of words wich have something to do with the topic but dont really make too much sence/ have already been said/ or are just there to add to general opinion
yeah I've seen a few post whores around, it's irritating when people don't even try to give their own advice or don't even touch the topic (sort of like this post I guess :p, but it's sort of an evoloution of the topic anyway)

Last edited:

Christopher

VIP Member
I think there'll eventually be more real, valid members that help out and for any new user to catch up to them, they'll have to be a really big whore indeed.

Styleprojekt

I'd say anybody over 800 posts is a postwhore...... :D ;)

But a serious way of fighting this if its really wanted, for admis just to simply warn people who post nonesence or halfsence and after like 3 warnings you are out

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
But a serious way of fighting this if its really wanted, for admis just to simply warn people who post nonesence or halfsence and after like 3 warnings you are out
this does happen eventualy, you'll notice a certain member doesn't currently grace these halls

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe warnings? Self-control and maturity go hand in hand .... why have warnings? ;) :D

Cromewell said:
this does happen eventualy, you'll notice a certain member doesn't currently grace these halls
Would that certain member be BoBo? I saw his profile say he was banned a few days ago... Preator also said he had been banned before... Some people never learn:rolleyes:...

I do think warnings would be a nice idea though.
Really I think my score idea is perfect! posts*avrage rating = score. Having people be able to rate posts alson would be nice because you could have an automatic banning thing where if there avrage goes below 2.5 they get a warning and below 1.5 they get auto banned or something. You would need to only avrage the last 20 posts or something becasue after you have a lot of posts your avrage rating wouldn't change much.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
This forum does have a feature which you can use to rate other members posts, it is a reputation system, but I wont be implementing it, too many people would be abusing it anyway. In regards to banning, whilst we do impose both permanent and temporary bans, everyone is entitled to put forward their case, if they feel they have been unfairly banned by one person, and the group of mods and admins will collectively make the decision as to whether they stay banned or have the ban reversed. Just thought I would mention that in case anyone was wondering about whether they might be banned unfairly. Having said that, it is unlikely that a permanent banning would be reversed, it is just possible.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Would that certain member be BoBo? I saw his profile say he was banned a few days ago... Preator also said he had been banned before... Some people never learn
And some people never learn from the mistakes of others.....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You do realizer your question can't be answered right? (i.e., there are other ways to improve the postcount ;))