interesting sound from my computer :O

72montecarlo

This isnt a problem really just a curiosity of mine and i cant seem to figure out whats causing this. at random times not very often but occasionally i here i guess i could best describe as a popping sound. almost like someone tapped real hard on the side of the computer case. it is quite easily heard and my first guess was the power supply but i have no clue. When i do hear it though nothing happens. no power fluctuations , no problems of any kind in anyway arise from this. I cant determine what component in the computer would be doing this. The only thing that made me finally ask about it is i had the computer unplugged for a few minutes and i hear this distinctive sound coming from the computer again even with no power. i dont know what to make of it. i was in a different room and i heard it two more times without a doubt coming from within the computer and without power. seems pretty weird to me but maybe its easily explained.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
he only thing that made me finally ask about it is I had the computer unplugged for a few minutes and I hear this distinctive sound coming from the computer again even with no power.
A dent in the case or mobo plate?

72montecarlo

I thought that might be it as well, possibly because if i tilt it left and right the bottom of the case bows in and out a little and it makes a sound , but not like the sound im hearing. Its very distinctive and it always sounds the same. i had it sittin on the floor not touching it and i heard it as i was wrapping up cables. It wont kill me if i dont figure it out but i sure would like to know whats going on in there.

tristan

It is very possible that the internal speaker has a bad ground. If you want to try opening the case and disconnecting the internal speaker and see if the sound still persists. Even though your computer is "Off", it doesnt matter if the cord is still plugged in.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have a tv-set which acts just like that. After a couple of months I realized that the popping sound is due to thermal expansion/contraction of its case. The sound appears mostly in the first 30 minutes after power-on and 2 hours after power-off. And even if the set is unplugged, it pops when there’s a sudden temperature change in the room.