Interference/Noise from unknown source

Arkenbrien

Greetings!

This is my first post here, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

First, my system specs:

• Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
• AMD Athlon II X4 640
• XFX Radeon HD 7950
• 2x 4GB DDR3
• Solid Gear SDGR-550E
• Xonar 5.1 DG Sound Card
• A couple fans, DVD/CD drive, 1TB HHD
• Nothing is overclocked *hides*

A modest machine, but capable for my needs. I've had this computer for about 3 years. The sound card is brand new (see below) and the PSU and GPU I got late last summer.
_____

The Problem: I am getting interference from my computer while wearing my headsets.

The Story: I have a ATH M50, and I normally used this for listening to music and gaming. I got it along with my first Xonar DG sound card two years ago. After I got a Kave headset for christmas, I plugged it in to discover a high-pitched whining sound in the background. After some trouble shooting and researching, I decided to get a new DG card (they are only 25 bucks), because I've heard that they do sometimes break down after a year or so. However after installing my new card which arrived a few days ago, nothing has changed. It is possible that the buzzing sound was happening before I got the Kave, because with the M50s it is difficult to hear for whatever reason.

I am kind-of a Roccat fan, and have the Isku keyboard and Kone XTD mouse. Both of these are lighted, and powered by USB to the computer.

The Characteristics: There is a whining sound in the background. Opening 3D applications adds a buzzing/crackling sound on top of the whine. For example, in Blender 3D holding the MMB and dragging the mouse results in the buzzing/crackling noises. I have the PerformanceTest 8.0 program right now, and I get a high-pitched buzzing sound. What's funny is that if I make the window smaller, the buzzing sound decreases in volume. Making the window larger/maximized makes it louder. Changing menus will change the pitch of the buzz. Closing the application turns off the buzz, but the whining continues. Muting the volume does not eliminate the whine, which means that there is probably some interference going on. On actual games (Like Arma 3, Cyrsis 3, Planetside2, etc), the buzz turns into more an actual crackle, and makes the game unplayable. Moving the mouse and 3D apps seem to have an effect, one way or the other. Removing the orange and the black outputs (L/R and sides) nearly eliminates the buzzing, though there is some coming through the green (center).

I can hear the crackling without the headset on if I put my ear next to the source inside the physical case, which seems to be coming from the lower half of the motherboard, where the GPU and Sound Card is, but not really from the PSU, which is at the bottom.

It may be completely unrelated, but my power cord does tend to get very hot if the system is even lightly stressed.

What Troubleshooting I Have Done Thus Far: (assume that everything does not eliminate the whining)

I have tested each of the inputs with my M50s, and there is whining and buzzing, however it is much quieter. However the M50s do not have any problem with noise on any other source.

I have tested the Kave on my friend's 5.1 system, and there is no buzzing/whining. From this, both of the headsets have been exonerated.

I have removed the GPU and tested. On Blender3D, however, the buzz did not start, though the whining did increase slightly in volume. I could not hear any crackling when I listened to the hardware with the headset off. With the Sound card removed and the GPU still in, the crackling did start.

I have plugged the PSU into a different power outlet, and tested the outlet with my multimeter. Nothing going on there.

Turning off the Microphone Boost.

Plugged the Kave's USB into an isolated power source while connected to the computer.
Myriads of software tweaks and fiddles.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the GPU and exchanging the PSU for my old one.
_____

Any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything.

Thank you all in advanced!

Ark.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had exactly the same problem with my Xonar D1,I could hear a hissing when no music was playing,So i bought a ground loop isolator and that sorted the issue,But im using an external Headphone amp so this might not help you.

However,I was still getting a static/buzzing noise that only my friends could hear over the mic on team speak,Everything i tried wouldn't fix the issue,even removing the graphics card and any other add in cards.

Ive now switched to a sound card that has a shield over it and this has completely sorted the problem for me,Not more interference at all.

So i can only recommend you get a sound card with a Shield over it,Or an external sound card/Dac.

C4C

I'm no expert on this topic, but I experience the same thing with my Xbox...

My turtlebeach X12's like to buzz and crackle.. I found out it was the USB port I was plugging them into..