Internal hard drive problem. I am too tired.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of mobos require that the bios be cleared whenever there is a hardware change.

That is a totally invalid statement there. Hardware is changed all the time and I've never had to do it. I know others will say the same thing.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That is a totally invalid statement there. Hardware is changed all the time and I've never had to do it. I know others will say the same thing.

+1

JHM, where are you getting your information from?

wolfeking

banned
maybe on older machines, but most current (478 or so and newer, 754 or newer i think) the BIOS only has to be cleared when there is an error. I know I have replaces almost the whole computer on some 78 based P4 machines, including the CPU, without ever touching the BIOS. And I frequently change out hard drives on laptops and desktops, and apart from boot order, have never had to tough the BIOS to get them recognized (when they are good drives that is).

wolfeking

banned
just because you were having trouble and clearing the BIOS helped it do't mean that replacing the hardware required the BIOS reset. You may have had a screwed setting in the BIOS that resetting fixed. That is what i am getting, as he probably didn't reset to get it tested in the other motherboard. And it functioned before the reset from what you were saying before. That shows that it was detected. If the CPU was not detected, then it would not boot. That is basic computer science.

cabinfever1977

I swapped out parts(boards,cards,harddrives,cpus,etc.) from computers for around 19 years and i hardly ever go into bios for anything,except to change boot order of drives.

wolfeking

banned
Yea, and be charged with harassment.

That could be your number for all we know, and besides that we have experience to the contrary. Besides clearing may lead to issues down the road. Chances are that it will have no aid at all in this case, not any other case involving a HDD unless it is a SATA/IDE mode issue. Your computer knowledge comes into serious question with this suggestion too, this on top of your statements about burning the drive out with different SATA controllers and SATA versions. I think you have successfully trolled this thread, but may actually believe that it may help.

The CPU issue with the BIOS was most likely a temp sensor that clearing the CMOS cleared the error log and reset it. This is the only thing I can contribute to causing it to fix the issue, unless it was an unstable OC, or some setting in the BIOS was messed with to cause system instability. One thing is for sure, if it was just dusty and no settings were messed with, removing the CPU would not require a BIOS reset. These are the facts.

wolfeking

banned
I have never declared a motherboard shot myself without noticing the scortch marks myself.

No matter what you say resetting the BIOS isn't a fix all. He has a problem with his hard drive. he has tested the drive (don't remember the results right off hand). This means that his drive is in the BIOS, resetting will not help. And he is going to loose all of his settings otherwise on it.

OP: This is your choice, but as you can see more than one knowledgeable member doesn't think it will.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The only time it should become necessary to EVER clear the BIOS is if the computer fails to POST. Aside from that, if a change was made and something happened, then just change it back.

End note: Clearing the BIOS is not regularly the solution like you seem to think it is.