Internet connection

Robin1966

I had this computer built specially in 2013 or 2014. Although the chap who built it was a bit of a cowboy in my view, it's generally worked fine since then, with Windows 7 Ultimate as the operating system. Last week though, it started having internet connection problems. Our BT Homehub 5 is downstairs, and this computer upstairs. It suddenly started failing to open up windows properly, even though the control panel showed it was connected to the internet okay. I checked it by bringing up my partner's laptop and checking that, which worked fine, and my mobile internet, which also worked fine. I noticed though that there was an exclamation mark in the device manager on this computer. That indicated that the driver for the Ethernet Controller/Network Adapter was missing.

So I looked around online, via the laptop, to try and find a driver that would work for Windows 7 Ultimate. I found one, which seemed to install okay, but when I tried to run it, the computer couldn't find the driver.

My brother suggested that I update to Windows 10, which I have now done, although Microsoft had some problems installing the installation tool, because of the connection problem, I managed to do it by loading it via a Flash Drive. MS then remotely took over my computer, installed W10, and everything was then okay.

However, this morning, for a brief period, this computer started having exactly the same problems with opening windows as it did last week before I updated to W10. I went straight to the device manager, saw that there was a new Network Adapter in there and that it was working properly, so couldn't understand why the computer wasn't opening up windows successfully.

It's now working fine, so I am thinking perhaps its the signal, despite the fact that the laptop and mobile picked the signal up okay upstairs, albeit a little slow. Having said that, the BT engineer came round last week when these problems were happening, and said the signal is fine.

So I am confused now, despite the computer now working okay I am somewhat worried this is going to happen again. Trouble is, what's the problem? Computer or the internet signal? Any thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you say its not opening windows, you mean windows isn't loading properly? If thats the case then it could be a failing hard drive or some other hardware failure or possibly malware/virus issue.

Robin1966

No I meant, it isn't (or wasn't) opening websites properly. Gmail often had a 'somethings not right' message, Facebook often got stuck with a continually revolving wheel in notifications and other websites just failed, the computer giving me a blank screen instead with ERR_ or something at the bottom. However, strangely enough, it seems to be working properly now and I have just installed an Alfa AWUS036AC wireless adapter, so hopefully problem eradicated.

While you're there though, know anything about speakers? I have a couple of these that I used with Windows 7, but now they've stopped working. They are logitech S-0264B computer speakers. Anyone know if they are compatible with Windows 10 or do I have to replace them?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If they connect to your computer then they are compatible. Most likely check your audio output settings to make sure speakers are checked.