internet with laptop on the park?

ajsie

hi!

laptop features is not my thing so i wonder, how can you connect to internet when sitting on a bench on the park, in the school or in the train?

by using a cell phone as a modem? if thats the case, how can you establish the connection to lets say a samsung sgh-e715. i know it has IR and i have used it for sending and receiving of images. but can you use IR to dial up an internet provider that gives you internet? or do you connect to the pc with the COM cable?

hope someone knows...thx.

Ps. If it works, isnt this very expensive? Ds.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If im not mistaken the IR protocols for cellphones are designed for cellohone-to-cellphone xfers and not compatible with the laptop IR.

miaeih

Mmm.. just get Wifi..
...and if you live in a big enough city, there should be lots of signals around and you can just hop onto one that doesnt need a password ;)

Blind_Arrow

IR port can transfer images from anywhere, I have used it for transferring iamges from Mobile Phones, to laptops, and to my PDA as well. also interchangibly to every other of these three without hassle.

this is to clear that IR port can work on anything.

secondaly, now as wireless internat is almost every where, and 79% of the wireless network administrators doesnt know how to secure their network, so if you are lukcy, you may find some Wi-Fi Links sitting in the park as well (if you arent residing at out of city), test it with 802.11g/b wireless card. and if luck is yours, you'll find free conentions :), faster as well. I dont know where u from, but I have tried moving places in london, and I found Wireless connections available at many many places :), though i dont use them (unless, until in some real emergency)

other thing u can do is, there is some cable available for almost every mobile ( am not sure about samsung, but I have used this method on motorolla) attaching direct into the modem of the laptop, and here I go, dialing up in the ISP, getting connection straight away.

now choice is yours, try with some wireless card (lend it from friend for 1 day), and as if it works, buy ur own. :)